Nitralloy 135M

If someone would be so kind as to offer a layman's definition of Nitralloy 135M I would appreciate it. I've googled as best I could and cannot find anything useful. I am primarily interested in its "grind-ability" properties.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
MK

Nitralloy 135 is a low-alloy steel optimized for nitriding. Nitrifing will create a very hard but thin surface case layer. Nitriding is useful when quenching a steel to temper it would cause distortion or warping.

It is specified by AMS 6470 or 6472.

Nitriding process and parameters are available in AMS 2759/6.

Results from grinding will be similar to any case-hardened material. The hard case is difficult to grind. The case is thin, so extensive grinding will wear through the case.

What else do you need to know?

HTH

Reply to
Harry Andreas

Harry,

Thanks for your response.

Nitralloy 135M is a "generic" name for *any* low-alloy steel optimized for nitriding or is there a specific composition?

Reply to
MK

No, 135 is a specific alloy w. specific composition. UNS K24065

CArbon .38-.43 Manganese .5-.8 Silicon .2-.4 Phosphorus .025 max Sulfer .025 max Chromium 1.40-1.80 Molybdenum .30-.40 Aluminum .95-1.30 Nickel .25 max Copper .35 max

It can be hardened by conventional methods before nitriding (AMS6472) or nitrided as received (AMS6470)

Reply to
Harry Andreas