How do I interface a CMOS image sensor?

G'Day!

I was just wondering who has implemented an interface for a CMOS image sensor. I thought it would be great to give a robot some vision using one of the spare cameras cluttering the place up. One camera is one of those cheapie mini camera/webcam keyring things. It has a dodgy USB connetion so its a prime candidate The other is a Siemens IQP-500

In the webcam's case I just wanted to pinch its image sensor and use it directly, but I'm not at all sure how. Ie. I don't know what it outputs. Ie Analog or digital. Serial or parallel etc.

The siemens camera. Well I was considering interfacing it via its connector. If it were just using the serial part that would be great. but I believe its also using the accessory bus. Does anyone have any info on that?

Once the outputs are known I can take it from there.

Before anyone says to go out and buy product(x) to do such a thing, I'll say that I'm basically a no$$$ hobbyist. Ie Just use things around the place if I can.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tristan Mumford

Look at the AVRCAM and CMUCAM designs to see what is involved in interfacing to the chips. In general, if you have to ask the question, then this is probably not for you. Many of the chips inside these cheapie webcams are proprietary, and information is very hard to come by (and usually only half the truth if you do find something).

You should also consider what you want to do with the camera output - there is a lot of data to be processed, which is why the above designs have their own dedicated processors.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Whats the matter with video?

I think there is tons of info if you look. Amateur astronomers have been tinkering with cooled chips for low light levels for a long time. I'm sure you can find any circuitry you want.

Serial out is the norm.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Absolutely nothing :)

I've had a look at some of that already. Apparently I need to take a better look. The mods I found still utilised the original USB output of the whole unit. I did find something on hackaday where someone tapped the output of an optical mouse. That's another possibility I guess. But a didtant third.

Sweet. If I get some time tomorrow I might to a trace to see whats what (as best I can) and desolder the little bugger.

A camera would complement the existing sensors on my breadboard bot quite nicely. It looks a mess but its a great testbed.

If I get it happening It'll initially just have some simple motion tracking ability. Not for navigation or anything though.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Tristan Mumford