How do I make RealView look Great?

Hi all,

I recently started dabbling with SolidWorks materials, with RealView turned on. Truth is, it doesn't look that good. I'm keen to hear from anyone using materials to create great looking assemblies - I'm sure I've seen them in SolidWorks promos before.

Note I'm talking about working in real-time, not PhotoWorks renderings.

Also, has anyone created/tweaked their own material images for RealView? SolidWorks came with lots of fairly dodgy metals and pastics, and the wicker/foliage/timber materials are of no real use.

Lastly, I notice that SolidWorks maps the material image onto each face of the modelled object, sometimes rotating or stretching the image. Anyone know what rules it's following? Is it possible to have it project one image onto the whole model instead of face-by-face (like using images for lighting in PhotoWorks)?

Reply to
ahoneyfield

Realview is something I turn off. It hasn't been worth the trouble.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

I'm with Paul - its a waste of time.

Your times better spent elsewhere - anywhere

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

I would wait for 2008 RealView or get onto 2008 beta3 right away since its close to release (next month). The 2008 RealView has dramatically improved and is really worth having for "near-real" images and presentations. The latest enhancements for RealView takes advantage of the latest GPU technologies and so you'll want to review our graphics cards recommendations (on the beta site) to get the full effect of the new RealView for 2008.

RealView 2008 is also a tremendeous aid for setting up PhotoWorks scenes and materials.

to sign up for beta and download:

Regards

Mark

Reply to
mbiasotti

Thanks Mark. Am I safe to install 2008 Beta alongside 2007 SP3 on a production machine (hope so, as I really have no other choice)?

Reply to
ahoneyfield

LOL so what will you do for ideas now that I dont provide them ;)

Reply to
neilscad

Yes, you can install multiple versions of SolidWorks, as long as you keep common parts (Toolbox) in there own, versioned, directories. SW warns you if you try to do this at time of install.

Mark

Reply to
mbiasotti

One thing to be careful of - having beta1 installed was causing SW07 Pack and Go to crash. That may be fixed with beta2. Also be careful not to overwrite or save over your 2007 templates.

Reply to
matt

If you run a repair on the the 2007 install after installing 2008 beta the "Pack N Go" problem is fixed.

Reply to
robrrodriguez

Mark, thanks for the tip to download. You guys have a lot to be proud of in this new release.

Reply to
ahoneyfield