using standard servos with LEGO parts?

I've found that -- not surprisingly -- using a standard servo with LEGO parts is annoyingly troublesome. The mounting holes and case size don't match up neatly with LEGO hole/stud spacing.

I can imagine making an adapter part or two, perhaps as easily as drilling appropriate holes in a piece of plastic. But I'm wondering if anyone else has already come up with a clever solution to this problem. A quick Google search turned up only one item, using a nonstandard (smaller) servo.

Any pointers appreciated!

Thanks,

- Joe

Reply to
Joe Strout

One of the first I did was a LEGO-compatible servo mount for standard servos.

It's not "clever" but it does work!

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb

That's cool! I had seen that before, but forgotten about it.

Does the position of the technic beam work out such that, when you build a "box" or frame enclosing the servo, you can arrange for a technic pin or hole directly opposite the servo horn, so as to make a joint?

Thanks,

- Joe

Reply to
Joe Strout

I wouldn't know. Maybe you'll get lucky. All I did was put the two mounting holes a LEGO-happy distance apart. There's probably a multitude of ways people may want to use it. At the time I envisioned the mounts for continuous rotation servos.

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb

OK, probably not, then. :) But it's still a cool part.

Thanks,

- Joe

Reply to
Joe Strout

Reply to
Jason S. Mantor

Heavy spam filters. Sorry.

My CAD drawings end up going to CAM files, and they have offsets for a router with a 1/8" bit (plus a slight adjustment for expansion/contraction caused by heat). Because of this they are not dimensionally meaningful outside my CAD/CAM setup. You'd get more accuracy measuring one of the brackets using an old wooden yardstick!

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb

OK, but I think I'll use my el cheapo digital calipers : )

Reply to
Jason S. Mantor