what is sponge? in rolled steel plates?

The surface looks like sponge in places on some of the steel plates that we are buying. These are about 80 inches wide and about 0.5- 0.7 inch thick plates. The grades are X60 and X80 type with Columbium and Vanadium for microalloying. Any ideas or references on this surface quality issue?

Reply to
<poolpolpl

"Spongy surface - A porous and cracked surface caused by oxidized subcutaneous blowholes." Definition from "surface Defects in Ingots and Their Products (Recommended Definitions),Special Report No. 63, The Iron and Steel Institute, London, 2nd edition, 1958

Subcutaneous is a fancy word for 'beneath the skin' and blowholes are holes caused by gas entrapped during solidification.

Pittsburgh Pete

-------------------------------------- DISCLAIMER

We don't believe what we write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for topical (external) use only. This information may not be worth any more than either a groundhog turd, or what you paid for it (nothing). The author may not even have been either sane or sober when he wrote it down. Don't worry, be happy.

Reply to
metalengr

It would be helpful to know the composition specificallly carbon, manganese aluminum, silicon, columbium, vanadium and copper

Jim M

Reply to
JFMACR

This kind of problem was very common in semi-killed steels, but this kind of steel is no more produced, since practically all steel slabs are continuously cast nowadays. Perhaps this problem can be due to hot shorteness caused, for example, by the presence of a excessive residual Cu content.

All the best,

Antonio A. Gorni

Antonio Augusto Gorni

Reply to
<poolpolpl
ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌ/ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌÁ × ÎÏ×ÏÓÔÑÈ ÓÌÅÄÕÀÝÅÅ: news:5qhAd.13414$ snipped-for-privacy@fe37.usenetserver.com...

rolling process of manufacturing of the steel plates.

Reply to
Metal