1 Piece Die Holder for Lathe?

I just received a die holder to use on my mini-lathe tailstock. I was surprised to find it was only 1 piece - sort of a "t" outline, with a

1" recess for the die at the big end and a hollow shaft at the other. I was expecting something with 2 pieces that slid as the die cut the threads. Am I missing a piece? Should I make an "arbour" to go into the tailstock that the holder can slide on? Is this a die holder for something other than a lathe tailstock?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
chrish57

Mount it in a tailstock chuck, and leave the tailstock unlocked.

Mine has an MT taper, same deal less the drill chuck

Reply to
RB

Chris,

From your description it does sound like you're missing the arbor that fits in the tailstock and the die holder slides on. Have you contacted the vendor for clarification of what should be there. Do you have a link to the item you bought.

Reply to
David Billington

------------ No need, just don't lock the tail stock down. Also until you get some experience using it, don't use power, rotate the chuck by hand.

You can make your own. This used to be a common shop project.

Typically these locate on a c. 1/2 inch rod/arbor in the tail stock [either straight in a chuck or w/ a morris taper to fit the tail stock], and are free to rotate. Frequently the holders are double ended with one end to fit the 1 inch diameter threading dies and the other sized to fit either 13/16 or 1_1/2 dies depending on the size/type of work expected.

To use this type of die holder the operator pulls the holder into part contact along the rod, and keeps the holder from rotating by hand pressure allowing threading to a shoulder under power, i.e. they turn loose when the shoulder is contacted, the die and holder then rotates and stops cutting.

Let the group know how you make out and any hints or tips you may care to share.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

----------- I think what he has is

The sliding type is like this
suggest a set screw below the surface to retain the die to avoid injury when the holder spins.) store bought
?ProductID=2314&category=1(domestic US source)

If you like the sliding type, you can make a sleeve with a 1/2 diameter hole to slide along the guide and then just clamp your existing holder in one end of the sleeve. Not as "shoppy" as a custom piece that you knurled, but a lot quicker.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

can't make a link for some reason. "

" gets close, then you need to go to page 129. It's KBC part# 1-528-004.

I think I can make it work using the suggests made. I'll make an arbour for it some time when I get a round tuit.

C.

Reply to
chrish57

OK not the type I am used to. The type I am familiar with is like this

. I would expect you could hold the 1/2" section in a Jacobs chuck in the tailstock, if you have the capacity, and leave the tailstock unclamped or as you say the tail section is hollow you could make an arbor to suit, either with a taper to suit the tailstock or held in a chuck and sort some mean to prevent rotation.

Reply to
David Billington

Hey, this thing works pretty well! I was a bit concerned about the tailstock clanking once it was loosened to slide easily, but it didn't seem to affect the results too much. Might chuck the holder in the headstock and skim the "socket" for the die - it looks like it might be a bit uneven.

Don't know if I'd want to make any big threads, but it does a better job on small stock (1/4") than I can by hand in the vise.

C.

Reply to
chrish57

The cheap solution under 1/2" or so is to chuck the workpiece in the Jacobs chuck on the drill press and clamp the die in the drill press vice. Works like a charm.

Reply to
Michael Koblic