118 Degree

In the drill bit thread one person (atleast) mentioned 118 degree drill bits. Many of the sets listed for sale (those that say) are 135 degree. What is the significant difference? (Other than 17 degrees. LOL.)

Reply to
Bob La Londe

118 degre is a standard point, 135 degree is usually a split point which is self centering.
Reply to
Randy333

I put split points in my 118's all the time. So there has to be more difference than that.

Wayne D.

Reply to
Wayne

I think it has more to do with type of material being drilled than anything else - as a kid I remember seeing a chart pinned up behind the school drilling machines with material, point angles and speeds.

For some reason I know that drilling cast iron is best done with a 90 degree point angle.

Reply to
Why are people so cruel

You put them on, the 135's come that way. At least most of the time.

Reply to
Randy333

========= For more than you [probably] wanted to know about drill point geometry.

enjoy

-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

In the voice of Phineas Flynn, "I know what I'm going to do this evening."

Reply to
Bob La Londe