12 inches?

If I'm ordering a part from either a fabrication house or cut to size flats from a sheet metal supplier, should I be thinking of my flat pieces in terms of less than 12", so they can maximize a whole sheet of aluminum?

Or are the sheets slight great than 36", 48" etc. to allow.

If for example, I need a quantity of 12" x 10" pieces....would it be better to order 11 7/8 x 10?

I know there is very little loss from the blade cut......but I want to do it right.

Reply to
Michael

Order with your tolerance, ie 12" +/- 1/8" or 12" +0,-1/8". Then the craftsman can immediately see what you're after.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

But that would allow a variance between pieces of 1/8", which might not be acceptable to the OP. Ideally you would be able to specify both tolerances: "Nominally 12 +0,-1/8", "Variance +0,-1/16", or whatever.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Order the exact size you need. Material sheet are sometimes oversized to account for waste. When sheet stock is sheared there is no loss. a good shear operator knows how to factor in the burr edges. I used to do lots of precision cutting of metal nameplates and small parts. using only a Di Acro 36" stomp shear. If something needed to be dead on size I would cut the blanks a few thou over then flip them and re-square to get all the burrs down.. Sometimes a stack of 300 sheets when carefully jogged would appear to be just a solid block of aluminum or brass. If you are gonna mill them smaller then don't worry about it.

Reply to
daniel peterman

This is a text not HTML news group. Many readers can't read that code and many places don't trust it in e-mail.

My reply might help others in reading it.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

daniel peterman wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn