13x40 Harbor Freight

Harbor Freight has a 13x40 lathe on sale right now for $2000. Does anyone here own one? How was the quality? I have heard alot of
negative comments about HF equipment, but I still have to ask what people's opinion is. Thanks in advance. Eric

used lathe
I located a used 9x36 Rockwell... I am concerned I will run out of swing, small bore (4C collet), no metric threads. Hence the pause in buying it. It is in excellent condition. I have also considered trying to find a Logan 12x36 (larger bore + 5C collets), but no success yet. Eric
Where do you live?

Brampton, suburb of Toronto, Ontario Canada
Ron wrote:

Hello, Ron.
Please be more specific. For example, you might say something such as "It's made in China, and that ticks me off"! :-)
Mike Mandaville needing some _usable_ information
I have only my anecdotal experiences, but I think that Chinese tools are being graded before shipment: 1) Good tools to to Jet and Enco 2) Bad tools go to Grizzly and harbor freight
Walking through an HF store, I would not take anything in the store if it were all free, including heavy machinery.
Leafing through the Jet and Enco line, I could pick a few things I would make room for.
Clark Magnuson wrote:

are
if
would
Hello, Clark.
Neither you nor Ron have been specific, though I asked Ron specifically to provide me with an example, Do you honestly expect the legion of 7x10 owners to take you at your word? Confidentially, such a point of view seems rather humorous to me. I have already said it once, and I will say it again:
I need some information that I can use!
Anytyhing else is just rumor and innuendo. If you fellows actually did know what you were talking about, you would be able to come up with some examples. The information that you have evidently "walked through" a Harbor Freight store doesn't impress me in the least.
Mike Mandaville Austin, Texas who is getting ready to _duplicate_ his own 7x10

OK. 1) Everything I have purchased from HF and Griz is crap no exceptions over the 25 years.
2) Most things that I have purchased from JET or Enco are good. Few excepions.
Let me define those terms for those from Raelinda: 1) Crap: I am sorry I bought it. I can't use it, the quality is too low. Give it away, throw it away, or use as a door stop. 2) Good: I am glad I bought it. I find it useful.
My statements are anecdotal, as I said. But what else are you going to get from a forum?

That's a rather absurd statement considering that Harbor Freight sells a number of quality, brand-name tools, including: Ingersoll-Rand, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, McCulloch, Bosch, Estwing, and even Mitutoyo. Not all can be found in every store, but I have bought brand-name tools at my local Harbor Freight.
As for the Chinese tooling, HF's stuff is generally no better or worse than that of the other tooling retailers. If you're a discriminating buyer, you can get some very decent tools at a good price.
- Michael
I think I have sturred up a hornets nest!
Eric

Nah..this is just R.C.M. on a quiet day! ;-).
I have tools made by Milwaukee, Makita, McCulloch, Bosch, Estwing, and Mitutoyo. Those are very good tools. I saw nothing of that quality in the Kent WA HF store a month ago. Maybe my eyes were blinded by my disgust for what I DID see, and maybe the good stuff is locked up.
While we were there, my brother bought a $200 grinder that looks just like my $242 grinder from ENCO or J&L: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGED9 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberF727 http://www.jlindustrial.com/catalog/product.jsp?origin=SEARCH%3AKEYWORD&id=ISG-12000J
However, the HF grinder shook horribly and had to be exchanged. He was given another grinder and 30 days to accept it or get his money back. My advice to him is pay the extra money and get one from ENCO or J&L
On Sun, 08 May 2005 11:51:46 -0700, Clark Magnuson

The one thing no one mentioned is when you find a HF that DOES sell those named-brand tools.. they are all either reconditioned or factory seconds.
james, seattle

The reason I didn't mention it is because it's not true. Yes, they do sell reconditioned brand-name tools. No, that is not all they sell. I've bought some brand-new, not reconditioned, brand-name tools from Harbor Freight.
By the way, the last time I was in HF, I saw an entire hanging aisle display of Estwing hammers. How many of those do you think were reconditioned?
Look, if some of you guys never want to shop at Harbor Freight, that's fine by me. But don't spread falsehoods about them.
- Michael
"If it wasn't for Harbor Freight tools, I wouldn't have no tools at all..."
The quality of their stuff has improved dramatically in the last five years, in my opinion. My approach is to buy it there first, then if it turns out that I use the tool a lot, I will often upgrade it later. E.g.., I bought their 1/2" impact wrench, then bought an Ingersoll Rand later on. Likewise, I started with an HF portable air compressor and then upgraded to a big 220v Campbell-Hausfeld. And to your point, in each case, I bought both tools at the HF store...
I really enjoy my compact bender, ring roller, blast cabinet, floor jack, and horizontal bandsaw. To buy the domestic, name brand equivalents would have been at least three times the cost. I know there are people out there who are blessed with tool budgets three times what I can spend, but I would rather buy steel...
When I win the Lotto I'll buy nothing but the best...but until then, HF has been my main supplier, EBay has been my second choice, and Home Depot and Lowes are tied for third...
Just my opinion...

and
maybe
BULL SH&*. The HF in New Hartford as well as the one in Syracuse and Albany all sell DeWalt and Makita, Milwaukee and Estwing hammers. Plus Stanley tools and Many other Name Brand tools as well. And they are NOT repeat NOT seconds or refurbs.
If you feel so threatened by HF stores selling import items maybe you should wake up and look around you. Your vehicle is probably an import (GM,Ford,Dodge, all have plants in Canada or Mexico) Own an 'American Made" Harley... Better take off all the import parts, Rims, Electronics and now the engine in the V-Rod (Porche designed and produced the castings and internals), the forks. Own a TV, there are NONE made in the US.How about the computer you typed your message on....
-

I have NOTHING against 'foreign made' products, personally, stuff made in the USA is either WAY too expensive, or not better than the Chinese stuff, and as far as where my money ends up.... I agree, Fords are made out the U.S. and Hondas IN COUNTRY..
I buy the best tool I can afford for the price. I think HF's biggest problem is one of image... they blend the quality products in amongst the CRAP at a ratio I'd put at 20% quality to 80% crap.
My point about HF is that in the Two local stores in the Seattle area, I've NEVER seen a name-brand tool that isn't 'reconditioned' from the factory.... NEVER. Sometimes it's hard to find the disclaimer... but it's always there someplace. If your local store carries BRAND NEW, PERFECT CONDITION, NEVER-USED electric handtools at a better price than other stores, I'd love to come by and shop there... :-)
James, Seattle

LOL, I think HF's biggest problem is that their business is growing like gangbusters as more and more individuals and businesses find that good enough at a super cheap price often makes more sense than really great at a high price.
John
Eric, I have yet to see anything from Harbor Freight that I would buy, let alone a product that they are selling for $2,000. They sell only cheap, Chinese, junk!
If you want a lathe, better off searching eBay for a used Logan, South Bend, or Atlas machine.
Harry C.