Harbor Freight Mini Mill

I picked up a Harbor Freight Mini Mill this past week, item #44991. The list price is $499.99 I was hoping to wait for a sale price and maybe save a hundred bucks, like I did with the 9 x 20 lathe I bought this summer. When I went in the manager waited on me and I ended up getting it for $399 and they gave me a 1 year warranty for free. That would have been another $49.99 for the waranty.

I don't know if this is an unadvertised special or what but, seems like a good deal to me.

Reply to
Shawn

I haven't shopped much with HF, but what little I have, I've found they are quick to discount. A week ago last Saturday I went in for a right angle attachment I needed for drilling a couple hundred holes where I couldn't otherwise reach. I had checked the price online, found it to be $9.95. Got to the store and it was $19.95. I had printed the online price, so presented it to the gal at the register and asked why their price was different. She told me that the two operations were unrelated, but that she'd gladly give me the lower price, which she did. There was anther guy with one in his hands right behind me, and he got the price, too. (He was thrilled, needless to say!)

There have been endless comments about HF and the questionable quality of their tools, but I still maintain that there are times when their items are just what the Dr. ordered. I purchased one of their cheap cement mixers, which I have used quite a few times in our building project. I have no interest in cement work, especially when I'm finished with this project, so I couldn't justify spending several hundred dollars on a better quality unit. In the end, if I simply throw this one away, it will have long ago paid for itself, and I still have a few bucks left in my pocket.

We're stuck with the cheap import items, and soon we may not be able to buy better quality due to our inability to compete. Perhaps we all might get used to the idea that HF may be here for the long haul.

Enjoy your new toy!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Having one of the MiniMills, this brings the price more in line with where it should be. Do a little squaring up and keep in mind that it's a very small machine, and it should serve nicely for small work. The biggest problem I found with mine is that the spindle was not parallel to the column, but it's not because of machining, more lack of deburring and finding chips between the parts that were not removed in assembly. Not a big deal, I think it took me about three hours to disassemble, deburr, clean and reassemble. The bracket that the column mounts to is not square, and I milled .005" off to clean that up. You will have to tighten the gibs in the column a little more than you may be comfortable with, but that's just the design of the machine. If you don't, don't expect much accuracy from it. I would also consider a 1/2" end mill just about the biggest it can handle, and it won't be comfortable with that, 3/8" would probably be better.

Yup. There have been a lot of items I've purchased from them, with single use in mind, knowing that I'll never use them again and a throwaway is fine. Over the years, I have purchased five calipers, vernier, dial and electronic, and I'm surprised at the accuracy they give. My oldest one, now some ten years, has been cleaned many times, the needle reset on the pinion, and still continues to be accurate. Their micrometers seem to come in two varieties, the cheaper set with the numbers electroetched onto the surface, and the more expensive "engraved". Other than wondering how long the etched numbers will last, they seem to be accurate, although when I'm doing finishing, I use my Starretts. For a student micrometer, one would have to go a long way to beat the $10 for a 1", although I'd still call it wise to buy a good one before trying anything serious. All in all, for hobby/student use, a lot of their stuff is completely satisfactory. For daily, industrial use, I don't think I'd trust them. A hobbyist could probably buy the 0 - 3" set of micrometers, the 6" digital caliper and never need anything more.

Reply to
Nobody

When buying third-world goods, expect third-world style haggling.

I still haven't figured out the HF business model. Is this some front to launder US dollars for the PRC military, or what?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

You're thinking of Walmart.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

||>When buying third-world goods, expect third-world style haggling. ||>

||>I still haven't figured out the HF business model. Is this some front to ||>launder US dollars for the PRC military, or what? || ||I think someone really really smart (like the founder of UPS) managed ||to find their niche in the market place. || ||They buy in half ship load container lots, so they can command really ||good bulk pricing and have managed to continually find the better of ||the chicom products. I remember well the early days when the stuff ||was by and large, absolute crap. I had a nail puller bend nearly flat ||when pulling a 16p nail from a 2x. Today that sort of stuff sold by ||them is pretty reliable. || ||I wish Id bought stock in them years ago. || ||Gunner

I'd agree. HF quality has gotten steadily better each year, prices have remained low. They keep coming out with things that make me ask " How can they make that at that price??"

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
rex

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 20:04:20 GMT, Gunner calmly ranted:

I've been buying things from HF since the mid 70's. I found them to be higher quality than Crapsman tools after '79. It's probably even more true today. I've pounded on the 6" Mechanic's Vise for nearly thirty years now and it's as sound today as it was brand new. I've greased it 3 or 4 times in that period. It's a real low-maintenance workhorse. I think I got my $24 worth out of it, don't you?

And I wish I'd had just a couple shares of MS stock from the get go.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, so did I, but when I checked, they were not a public company--and they still are not! When a company makes as much as they do, there is no need to share it with the pubic.

Jan Howell

Reply to
JHowell297