15 hp lathe

convert to DC drive motor or VFD . I can get a 10 Hp dc 180 volt motor and controller for about what i would pay for the VFD.

its a monarch 20 x 54 , 1945 vintage

Reply to
Chris Henry

Chris, I do not know why you need the variable speed with that lathe. Maybe my memory is failing me, but I recall either that lathe having 18 or 24 different spindle speeds. I have a late model 18 x 54 Lodge & Shipley with a

15 HP motor and it has 24 speeds. If you still want to change, 10 HP is more than enough. I have a HP meter on my headstock and I have never used more than 5 HP even for the biggest cuts. Steve
Reply to
Steve Lusardi

A Monarch of that vintage would have 16 spindle speeds, hardly warrants a vfd. The best bang for a buck would be a bigger motor pulley & belts to speed up the spindle. The optional bigger hp Monarchs were usually slower than the standard models.

10 hp was standard for the 20 inch of that vintage.

Tom

Reply to
Tom