$3 battery charger

3 Dollar lead acid Battery Charger http://www.alpharubicon.com/elect/3dollarbattggn.htm
Ace, WH2T
Really neat, from one of the radio ngs.
Thought some here would find this inneresting/elegant, and perhaps useful.
Sorta neat, how he uses a wave-form analyzer on this $3 (or less!) ditty.
--
------
Proctologically Violated wrote:

Never in my house.
Too much risk of someone touching a bare wire and getting across 120VAC. Especially in the garage with the cement floor.
Jim Stewart wrote:

Reminds me of when I used to go caving ("spelunking" to you Americans :) in Britain, about 40 years ago. Standard cavers' kit featured a coal-miner's headlamp, run from a 3-cell nickel-iron battery. Come the evening, some 40 cavers would congregate, all wanting to recharge their batteries. So someone put together a charging shelf, comprising numerous slots, into which you could slide a battery pack. The top had spring contacts which acted like jacks, putting all the batteries in series. At then end of the shelf was a rectifier, rheostat & ammeter. The whole lot hooked straight across mains. This, bear in mind, was UK mains: 240V. Amazingly, we never had an accident.

Reminds me of a speriment way back in grade school: Perty much everyone in the class had at one time or another had the shit shocked out of them from a wall outlet, but that same outlet would not shock ten kids holding hands.
Pity the teacher/foo' that tries DAT, in today's phobic-assed society.
Helmets on a bike--give me a fukn break....
--
------
Proctologically Violated wrote:

Another was the electric machines lab at my University, back in the 60s. Banks of 4 large binding posts at the benches, from which we ran big hook-up wire to the machine-sets on the floor. Those posts carried 3-phase mains!
Proctologically Violated wrote:

Did it make first place in the competition "Dumbest circuit of the millennium"? Or did I miss the "provided by Ignoramus"?
Nick
Really a kindness to what looks like it might be a gelcell battery. Should cut its life expectancy (along with that of its user) to about 1/10 of what it might be... /mark
Proctologically Violated wrote:

Why would that be? Assuming you didn't leave it on for a week....
--
------
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 00:42:29 -0400, Proctologically Violated

Because it will severely overcharge the batteries.
Ignoramus3045 wrote:

Seems you missed the "along with that of its user".
Nick
I think the issue is more, It CAN overcharge the battery. Suitably timed, it should give just as good a charge as any magical pyooterized black box out there.
--
------
'course, a timer now makes it a $33 charger. :)

Suitable timing could be made by sensing voltage across the battery. It would not be $3 then.
Proctologically Violated wrote:

Yes I think it depends on how much "organic" circuitry you have connected. :-) ...lew...
message

No, thanks- I have too much invested in my deep cycle cells to wreck them with such a Larry Lightbulb scheme. I'll stick to my three-stage dedicated deep cycle charger.
-Carl
--
This just in: a disturbing new study find that studies are disturbing. More
on this story as it develops.

I guess if a guy was desperate he could use it. I would not want to try it on a battery still attached to a cars electrical system incase the battery had an open circuit.
I'm reminded about the guy that ran 240V to a couple rods in the back yard to bring up nightcrawlers for fishing. Left it on and forgot about it. His kid went out to play and was electrocuted.
Wes
message

Besides being incurably dangerous because source voltage will show up on the disconnected charging leads, the thing is horribly inefficient. It throws away about 90% of the power you put into it. That means that it is NOT cheap.
Vaughn