3 phase welder amps question

Reply to
Glenn

99 bux.
Reply to
Don Foreman

I have a DC amprobe I use for checking welding machine output. It is an external clamp that plugs into my Fluke meter.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

A 200 amp Transformer based welding power supply, without power correction capacitors will draw at most 70 amps of 220 single phase.

Use an 70 or 80 amp breaker, on a NEMA 6-50 receptacle and plug.

6-50 is a 50 amp welders plug.

My Syncrowave 250DX has a 90 amp breaker on it, but it has a max output of 310 amps.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Got it. This is assuming that there is a phase converter between single phase utility power and the three phase welder, right?

OK. I will try to find a 70-80 amp Homeline breaker, they are not for sale at Home Depot, but maybe I can find them somewhere. My rotary phase converter is hard wired, no need for a plug.

That's very nice!

Thanks Ernie. I am learning so much.

Ignoramus12004

Oh yea - I do have a BNC to Banana plug adapter somewhere. Hum. What drawer or ...

Have a nice 1000A AC/DC Fluke. No longer made, but what the heck, if it works. Also have AC versions for my triplet. Had two, gave one to dad. Rats. Two are nice for two power legs.

Glenn wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Reply to
dcaster

This is one of the few times when correcting for power factor is worthwhile. If you correct for power factor , the current when not welding will be much less. The current when welding will be almost the same, but the lag on the breaker will keep it from popping.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Makes sense. I think that I will wire the second 7.5 HP idler with extra run caps. So, this system of balancing caps would be activated only when my 7.5 HP addon idler is powered up.

Ignoramus26153

I think you are right. The Hall-effect devices tend to be used for small currents typically in the low amps and milliamps range. billh

Reply to
billh

I am slowly catching up on a backlog of messages, so I apologize for entering this conversation late. IIRC, you have already gotten this unit powered up without any problems. But if you're still interested in knowing more about the disparity between the input specifications and the output specifications, do a google search on this newsgroup for "power factor correction," and look especially for some explanations by Gary Coffman.

By the way, where has Gary been lately? Anybody know?

Reply to
Andrew H. Wakefield

That's not quite the case, it does power up and run, but I am concerned about drop in the third leg at high power usage.

I can easily weld 1/8" steel with no problems though. That's all that I did so far.

I think that my idler simply is not big enough (10 HP). I need to add an extra 7.5 HP idler to it, for which I just have no time right now.

On that circut, I will indeed try adding balancing caps.

Ignoramus25589