9/32 x 20 screw

My momma's leg brace needs repair. There is no higher priority than fixing
something for your momma.
I need a 9/32 x 20 tpi stainless steel screw preferably with a socket head.
I just had my wife order some 303 stock to make one from scratch, but its a
real PITA to make a socket head. If anyone knows of such an animal, where
could I order?
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
Are you sure it isn't 1/4 -20? If you are how about buying a 3/16 Stainless and turning just the threads? Roger
Reply to
Roger Paskell
The original manufacturer? Sure it isn't metric? Much of the medical equipment I've run into lately has had metric threads. Would be approximately 7mm-.8, which is not standard, 7-.75 is. The inch thread you ask for is a bastard size, nothing standard. I'd redrill and tap it to 8mm fine pitch, which you can find just about everywhere.
Stan
Reply to
stans4
Could you install a 1/4-20 Helicoil?
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
I did some checking and didn't run into that one. Have you considered contacting the manufacturer of the leg brace? You might find they support their product and will send you the screw^H^H^H^H^Hfastener.
Wes
Reply to
Wes
I very carefully verified that it is not 7MM x 1mm thread. I need 9/32 x 20 tpi. Weird and special. I am modifying the brace to make it easier for momma to put on. So, no help from manufacturer. I can make one, just takes a while. She's worth it.
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
Call Medco at 847-296-3021, talk to Diane first. I bought some things from them and they make such screws, IIRC. They probably will not sell retail, but they may direct you to someone. Some of these screws are outright weird looking, shaped like bee bodies etc.
Ignoramus27971
Try Winkley Orthotics & Prosthetics in Golden Valley. 1-800-946-5539
They're a short block north of Hwy 55 on Douglas Drive. Or, try this: snipped-for-privacy@winkley.com
Reply to
Don Foreman
Thanks, I'll put "the Kid" on this. He works near there.
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
Thanks, I'll give them a try
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
A medical device is *far* more likely to use metric fasteners than Imperial. I'm guessing that what you really need is M8-1.25, maybe M7.
Reply to
Doug Miller
Any reason you couldn't just slot the head instead of trying to make the (I'm assuming hex) socket. Alternatively, make a DIY hex broach out of a piece of hex key. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the problem is.
David Merrill
Reply to
David Merrill
Karl,,,,, please keep us informed as to your final solution. Roger
Reply to
Roger Paskell
Yes, I doubt if they're a mile apart.
Reply to
Don Foreman
No joy at two suggested contact places so I'm building from scratch. Instead of a socket head, I'm going with a small (1/4") hex bolt head and buy a couple 1/4" socket screwdrivers. I could burn a socket with my EDM, but would be really hard to do. I'm going to run it on the CNC lathe and make enough for no worry about losing one.
These got to ship Monday morning. Its help your momma priority.
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
If it helps, two crossed slots make a Phillips recess, or buy a 5/16" or 8mm stainless socket head with a long shank you can turn down and thread.
jsw
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
A 9/32 thread is a pretty odd thread...did you measure with a micrometer or calipers?
.281" is 9/32......... 7mm is .275"
did you try 7mm x 1.25.
that would be .275" x 20.32 tpi
cheers Bob
Reply to
fftt
Karl,
This might be a whitworth thread spec. If so you might have trouble if you don't get the geometry correct.
Reply to
Roger Shoaf
9/32 is not a Whitworth standard size and 20 TPI is asWhitworth pitch for 3/8 Whitworth Fine (BSF) or 1/4 Whitworth coarse. Have a look at
you may find it there as it has a pretty extensive range of thread details
Reply to
Grumpy