9 tooth spline motor shaft

Surplus Center has these wonderful motors that I would like to use for a wire-brushing operation. (imagine that) They have a 1/2" dia. nine-tooth splined shaft 1/2" long. Have any ideas how to mount an arbor on that shaft?

Tom Gardner

All that surplus center stuff is like these motors, useless when not applied to some special purpose for which it was originally designed.

Ignoramus27037

Make yourself some internally splined couplers....piece of cake...

Or have someone that knows how...

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Spline keys?

Dennis

I machined a broach to fit a pulley to an ANSI-splined hydraulic pump shaft. While it worked, the required effort was only justifiable as toolmaking practice. The difficult part was grinding a lathe bit cutter to the 30 degree involute(?) groove shape.

Afterwards I found this tilting vise that made angular fly cutter grinding much easier.

It shifts the problem from grinding the cutter to measuring it.

I think it could help grind lathe bits to Law-approximation gear cutters using conical stones to achieve the correct diameter easily, with automatic relief below the edge. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Looks nice, but, "Intermittant duty" ??

Reply to
Robert Nichols

Damn! I didn't notice that, thanks. That's a deal killer. I need to get two brushing stations operational in less than a week. Without an off-shelf solution and the intermittent DS, I'll just buy from Grainger.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

What do you need, a 1 HP 3450 RPM motor?

Reply to
Ignoramus24032

Measure the diameter of the spline. turn and thread a shaft to fit hole in wire brush.

drill ID of reverse end of threaded portion, and then bore to size of diameter of above spline .000/+.003

Drill and tap for (2) setscrews over ID bore Install on splined shaft. Use hammer if necessary to drive to full depth.

Install (2) setscrews with Loctite (blue)

Turn on motor and use wire brush

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

1hp, 3450 rpm, would be a very good application for an 8" wire brush.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Intermittant duty = less than "under load"

I dont think Tom would be using the full 1hp at full load on a wire brush..do you ?

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Gunner fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

???? Um... considering this is a motor shaft, wouldn't pressing it on be a better idea?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yes, great motor, intermittent duty with essentially no shaft.

Hint, a wirebrush is subject to side loads and needs to sit on a long arbor.

Ignoramus24032

1) Bore to just larger than the diameter at the root of the spline. 2) Use the lathe as a shaper and index off the bull gear (or a real index head an real shaper if available) and cut a matching spline. 3) slit down the middle of the thin area of each spline. 4) Clamp around this to grip the motor's shaft as well as possible. (probably add bearing-mount LocTite for extra grip.)

Or (depends on length of arbor -- for a long one)

1&2) As above. 3) Mount the wire brush between two sealed bearings, and mount bearings to the face of the motor.

Probably other options as well. Just what came to mind on reading your question.

Good luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Probably..but Im sure using something smaller than a 16lb sledge will get the job done fairly safely.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Thanks! I can adapt something a lot easier with these. But sadly, it was pointed out that these motors won't work for my application.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

WELLLLLL, I might. I'll just buy Grainger after I call the local rewinder...just in case he has 2 of something laying around. I have to clean rust from 4,500 lbs of flat wire for a NY company that was flooded by Sandy. The wire is on 200 lb spools. I'll run the wire from spool to spool and wire brush the top and bottom in between. We are good as handling flat wire and have the tricks to spooling and unspooling. I'll try 5 wires at a time.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

replying to Tom Gardner , dippsmick wrote: i get the tooth spline motor online. with the set of Gear Hobs they provide the fine stuff in good price. i get my delivery in 2 - 4 working days.

Reply to
dippsmick