A day in the shop

Spent part of today mudding and taping seams in the drywall. I'm getting close to having my shop ready for winter metalworking.

60F is way warm when you are moving around and climbing up and down.

Couldn't find my taping knife so I bought a new one. Picked out a 8", later I found my

10" where I left it years ago. Oh well, at least I have graduated sizes. Uncle loaned my his 12" knife but that is way too wide.

I just turned the heat up to 70F and exited the machine room for the night. Hope everything dries by morning so I can continue on.

Winter this year will be a lot more fun with a place to hang out and make chips.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

close to having

Uncle loaned my

YeeeHAw!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 17:15:55 -0500, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:

Amazing, isn't it? I've been building a deck in 38-43F weather and I take my windbreaker off to work in short sleeves after ten minutes. I leave my cap on to keep my ears from freezing, but I stay warm without sweating too awfully much.

Uncle loaned my

C'mon. That's for the 3rd and finish coat. I finally picked up a sanding stick for mud and did a textured wall for a client. She had done the texturing and I did the sanding and priming, with paint to come next month, when she gets more funding. Those sticks save a whole lot of effort, lemme tell ya. It was a manual job, no built-in dust collector nozzle. Those are triple digit!

Oh, it will be. I never paint the day I mud if I can help it, but most of my work is thick repairs, not the thinner taping. Use a good primer and an eggshell _pure_white_ paint for best lighting with no glare.

Absolutely! As well as it's well insulated from the house noise. ;)

-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Reply to
Larry Jaques

close to having

Yup, I've gone cross country skiing wearing little more than what I wear bicycling in the late fall and I've been nice and toasty. You just don't want to stop until you get back home or to your car.

Uncle loaned my

This is only my second bit of drywall finishing but I bought that sander on a stick the first time.

I just figured out why I've kept old blankets. I'll use them to cover the lathe and mill during the sanding phase.

Guys that finished my brothers house had a thing that looked like a bazooka, they just held it to a joint and it applied tape down the joint. That was way expensive. It did inside corners too iirc.

I didn't even think about using primer. I just did a quick google and I'll take your advice.

Eggshell is a surface finish, like semi gloss?

If only the insulation would mute the sounds of idiots with their car stereos with the bass system you can hear a mile away coming and going.

Wes

Wes

Uncle loaned my

Hey Wes,

Fans!! Fans are the best way to dry anything.

Brian Lawson.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 13:03:29 -0500, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:

close to having

Yes, take a jacket with you, just in case! I always keep mine handy because when I stop working, I get cold in a real hurry.

Uncle loaned my

Good idea. I don't do much, but using fresh sandpaper (in this case, sanding screen) and a stick really makes the work fly. I got one to sand my sister's deck after I pressure washed it and that was a real bear to use. I'll never pressurewash a deck again unless it's nearly new. Old wood gets really soft in places and the washer, no matter how careful you are, eats right down through it before you can react.

A couple $4.88 rolls of poly sheeting for that. They're reusable and you can fold them to trap the dust and decant it prior to shaking out the "tarps". (That's my only recommendation for poly, BTW. :)

Cha CHING!

Oh, absolutely. Use two coats and you won't have any flat areas. It shows up much worse with gloss paint.

Si, sheen. There's flat, eggshell, satin, semi-gloss, and gloss, in order of glossiness. Too much gloss creates glare, especially if direct sunlight is around, but it'll reflect fluorescent bulb glare, too.

I read somewhere that's what tack strips on fishing reels are for. One casts it when one hears a boombox coming, lets it pop 'em, and then one just reels the strip back in.

Too bad they're not in season yet, huh?

-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:44:23 -0500, the infamous Brian Lawson scrawled the following:

close to having

Uncle loaned my

Yeah, fans and air changes which have no extra moisture in 'em.

-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I can do air changes or heat. Pick one. ;)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I'll follow your advice on the above. Thanks for the tips. Hopefully Stryped is paying attention also ;)

Thanks,

Wes

Wes

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 17:53:47 -0500, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:

Use a fan and heat. After half an hour, do an air change and reheat, complete with fans. That should do it.

-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 17:55:11 -0500, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:

Anyone who hasn't plonked that troll is a foo. I also doubt that the aforementioned idiot is capable of paying attention. Pass it on.

-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I guess I can try it. Don said the thermal constant of the room is pretty high with the machines in it, recovery time might be pretty quick. Sure wish I had an hygrometer to measure humidity. It does feel a bit humid in there.

Wes

Wes

He's busy pulling wire. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Leave the heat on and two windows cracked - one low, one high. That should drive out the moisture.

And you HAVE to prime new drywall, or it'll just keep soaking up gallons of paint with no finish to show for it. One good coat of PVA primer locks to the finish paper surface and the topping compound, and seals the surface. Once sealed, one heavy coat of paint might be enough - but two medium coats are better.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Go to the box store and get a dehumidifier, if they are regularly sold in your neck of the woods. Drys the air out, doesn't result in heating up the entire state and blows the air around enough to keep it moving. Use a heat-pump type, not the idiot thermal absorption types.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Thermo-Hygrometer with Clock