What is awesome in German?

Just got a text from my kid "What is awesome in German?"
Numerous smart-ass answers leaped to mind, including "idiomatic", "Anne-
Sophie Mutter", "Katerina Witt", etc.
But I thought perhaps he meant "what German idiom means the same as the US idiom 'awesome'?"
Anyone know? Jeorg?
--
www.wescottdesign.com

Hello Tim,
I looked in a dictionary in the Internet and was surprised that the meaning of "awesome" in the US is very different from the meaning in England.
awesome in the US: fantastisch, groartig. stark, toll
awesome in England: ehrfrchtig, schrecklich
www.leo.org
http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang &searchLoc=0&cmpType=relaxed&sectHdr=on&spellToler=on&chinese=both&pinyin=diacritic&search=awesome&relink=on
Best regards, Helmut Germany

http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang &searchLoc=0&cmpType=relaxed&sectHdr=on&spellToler=on&chinese=both&pinyin=diacritic&search=awesome&relink=on
In the UK nowadays the expression 'awesome' is recognised by (some) adults as an imported, fashionable, over-used way of saying 'good'. The original meaning has probably been de-valued by the new wave.
Chris
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 19:43:22 -0000, "christofire"

Brits say "brilliant" to mean "good", whereas we USers use it to mean "extremely intelligent or creative." Someone called one of my actions "brilliant", and I took it to be a great compliment, when it was actually a very mild one. I think.
John
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:23:48 -0800, John Larkin

Or perhaps you swapped resistors again. ;-)
or about Sat, 21 Nov 2009 19:43:22 -0000 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    And it started as a good English word, to describe something as inspiring Awe in a person. Such as an Awesome Church.
tschus pyotr

I've heard that Ivan the Terrible could also be translated Ivan the Awesome.
Awesome is one of the definitions for grozniy in my Russian dictionary.
jsw
Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:35:49 -0800 (PST) did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Terrible not as in "bad" but in "Dread and Terrible Lord" - you do not cross this person.     One text I read had him as "John the Dread" - which would be a translation of his name.

    Ivan Groznik, Tsar of all Russians. - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:02:07 -0800, pyotr filipivich wrote:

lp=ende&lang&searchLoc=0&cmpType=relaxed&sectHdr=on&spellToler=on&chinese=both&pinyin=diacritic&search=awesome&relink=on
Apparently this was also the original meaning of "awful" -- that one sure has shifted meaning.
--
www.wescottdesign.com

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:02:07 -0800, pyotr filipivich

It's really terrific how words evolve.
--
John

John O'Flaherty wrote:

That's great (i.e., large).
Jerry

And get coded in song "Our God is an awesome God" will be sung for years.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Lackwit.
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 19:43:22 -0000, "christofire"

Gosh, so understated, so stark. You have devalued yourself.

Methinks that the German expression "spitze" probably conveys the idea that the word "awesome" does in North America, at the colloquial level.
Translated "spitze" means "point", eg. "die Spitze am Pfeil" means "the point on the arrow".
Colloquially both words, "spitze" in German and "awesome" in North America are used to describe the pinnacle of admiration.
Wolfgang
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 11:50:37 -0800, wolfgang wrote:

I think he meant "awesome" as in a busload of preppies going off a cliff.... ;-)
Cheers! Rich
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 20:31:44 +0100, Helmut Sennewald wrote:

lp=ende&lang&searchLoc=0&cmpType=relaxed&sectHdr=on&spellToler=on&chinese=both&pinyin=diacritic&search=awesome&relink=on
Thanks Helmut. The denotation of "Awesome" has retained it's original meaning, but really correct usage is fairly idiomatic -- hence, I needed someone more bilingual than me to help out.
--
www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott wrote:

ehrfrchtig
Maybe..
Jamie wrote:

But then the question would be "What is awesome in Germany?", not German?

This is not very often used.
In general it depends on the context. Anne-Sophie Mutter, Bach, Max Planck, Albert Einstein etc. is "groartig" and "fantastisch", Katerina Witt is "toll" (maybe "groartig", too, if you like figure skating) and the Cologne Cathedral can be "ehrfurchtgebietend".
--
Frank Buss, snipped-for-privacy@frank-buss.de
http://www.frank-buss.de , http://www.it4-systems.de

Geil..