Awesome R/C Gliders!

I was riding my bike along side this river in Tokyo yesterday afternoon. The weather was perfect and there was a steady mild breeze. I looked up in the sky and saw what I though, at first, were two birds soaring high overhead. They appeard to be hovering still for a few moments, then broke away and dived a hundred feet or so, leveled off just 15 feet above ground and swept across a patch of tall grass. Then they lifted and soared silently back up to what seemed over 200 feet! By this point I realized that these were two R/C gliders and they were obviously being piloted by some extremely skillfull flyers. This was the first time I have ever seen R/C gliders, although I am in the process (still) of building my first. It was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. I could not believe the acrobatics, the speed and the height that these gliders flew. It was truly inspirational and has motivated me to get my glider kit together as soon as possible! I plan to go back there, and next time try to find the people who were flying these things. Hopefully I can learn a thing or two from them.

- MB

Reply to
MonkeyBoy

Thats it your hooked >:-)

Welcome to the wonderful world of RC gliders, both thermal and soaring.

Once you get started you will find it is very addictive >:-)

You can enjoy the glider floating about in thermals on a nice warm day, or climb a decent hill and watch the slope plane zooming around in a strong wind... strong is when your hat keeps blowing off and your eyes keep watering !!!

Reg

Reply to
reg

I love my gliders. I have flown my Riser 100 for years with many flights over 45 minutes. I built a power pod for it with a OS .10 for power. ( We don't have hills in Florida for slope soaring.) Works great. Recently, one of my flying buddies installed a piggy back glider thingy for his large trainer type airplane. It is about a 65 inch plane. We piggy backed the Riser with it. It sure looked funny with the 100 inch on top of the smaller plane but it worked well. On release of the glider, it just floated away, almost slow motion like. Boy was that fun and it looked so cool. Gliders are great. Regards Gene

Reply to
Gene

Yes, you're right, I am absolutely hooked now! And to think, I put down my half completed glider a few months ago due to distractions - now I'm dusting it off and plan to finish it asap!

- MB

Reply to
MonkeyBoy