Slideshow from iREX2009 in Tokyo

In my quest to find wealth in robotics, I went to Tokyo for the International Robot Exposition (IREX) 2009 show last week. It was held at Tokyo Big Sight in Tokyo Bay - a monstrous convention center with multiple trade shows going on at the same time. Thousands of ernest, black suited Japanese attended.

I missed Thanksgiving but it was a fun experience for me nevertheless. Learning to use the Metro; finding my way to the Apple Store; getting a haircut; repairing broken eye-glasses, slurping my ramen... all part of the adventure.

On the plane back I made a slideshow of my photos which I think you may like (although I'm not that great of a photographer). I uploaded it to YouTube but the link is on the face of my robot website, THE ROBOT REPORT. Here's the link to the video:

To me, the key message that I carried back with me came from Rainer Bischoff (of EUROP and KUKA) who said, "Technology, economics and customer demand are re-shaping the future of robotics into one of service and human interaction."

If you can think of a friend or two that might be interested in the state of robotics today, please forward this message to them. I'd appreciate it.

And, a belated Happy Thanksgiving.

Cordially,

Frank Tobe THE ROBOT REPORT Tracking the business of robotics

Reply to
EP