N.S.E.C.T. Robots?

I ran across an R/C Robot called an N.S.E.C.T. at a local retail shop. It was way in the back on the shelf not listed with a price but a "make me an
offer" was posted. It looked intact an still in the box. Would this be a good find for a starter robot kit? Let me know and I'll "make that offer".

Well it's not a kit. More info here:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
If you are looking for something similar and more hackable look at the Wowee Robotics line designed by Mark Tilden:
http://www.wowwee.com /
Here is a video of their next product excpected this fall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxRM1P7vxJw

If you truly want a kit Solarobotics has some nice stuff:
http://www.solarbotics.com /
Here is a write up on one of their kits:
http://www.ohgizmo.com/2007/05/21/ohgizmo-review-beam-photopopper-photovore-robot-kit/#more-5599
Robert Davidson wrote:

Keep in mind there are a couple of variations of the N.S.E.C.T's, with some smaller ("Nano") versions at about a third of the price. Of the larger you can usually get them from closeout outlets like KB Toys for $50-60; the smaller ones are around half that. Of course there's eBay.
Before you make the offer do a Yahoo.com or MSN search to see what you come up with.
-- Gordon
Hi
Well it depends on your expertise in reverse-engineering and general robotics skills.
I suggest buying a book like Gordon's "Robot Builder's Bonanza", that will answer many questions you may have.
As a first robot, maybe too ambitious. You could get frustrated. A simple project is always easier to achieve and gives you a sense of accomplishment in a reasonable amount of time.
I *definitely want to hack an N.S.E.C.T* for my third robot. It looks really cool, with potential to terrorise pets, mothers, and step-fathers...
My current (2nd 'bot) is a hacked RC Jeep Rangler from Radio Shack/Dick Smith. It cost me AUD $20 - reduced. The details of the project will be posted as a complete project on my up-coming website geeksunleashed! It will be well-documented, as it forms a report for a project at TAFE college.
I will have to be patient and finish this project first before the exciting N.S.E.C.T.
Hope this helps
:-]
Dale