Super Sportster kit discontinued

Saw that Tower had the Super Sportster 60 kit listed as discontinued. Called the local hobby shops to see if anyone had one in stock (they didn't). One of the hobby shops called to see if an order could still be placed, left me a message that said the 60 and the 40 kits were discontinued. If anyone wants one of these kits check the local hobby shop and if they have one in stock get it while you can. Charlie

Reply to
Charlie H.

I'm sure you will find any and all kits becoming hard to find. Check the magazines - when was the last kit review? We live in ARFworld I fear. Not that the quality or price of ARF are not great. But we lose the variety and pride of craftsmanship. Earles 2 cents

Reply to
adelphia direct

For me personally, the hobby would get pretty stale if it got to the point where I was buying ARF's or RTF's, and just flying. Building is something I would hate to give up. I like this hobby because of the variety, and the ability to be creative. Flying the planes is probably not even half of this hobby to me.

Reply to
PhantomFlyer

I'll second that sentiment. I admit that I have bought a couple of ARFs but I find that the building is at least as much fun as the flying, and I can build on days when it's just not fit to go outside to fly. The constant experimenting with new techniques and playing with my own ideas makes it much more interesting.

bob

Reply to
Bob Cowell

My father loved to surprise me when I was a child with a stick model plane kit. I loved to spend hours putting them together. Dad wasn't to critical of my building skills, but I could see in his eyes he was often disappointed with my creative efforts!

Oh what the Hell! I like to fly and not build. Now that I'm older with less than perfect vision, I like to build even less. It's a PITA cutting, sanding, fitting, gluing, and often cursing trying to put a BIY together. Then you usually have to scrounge up a bunch of parts, since most kits come with junky hardware (the same might be said for RTF). And then the ultimate pain of trying to cover the damn thing with iron on covering. My seams were never straight and forget about a cool color scheme - count on a one color job from me.

I don't mind a ARF, since most of the work is done. All you have to do is glue the wing together and install the radio gear and the engine. Shortly thereafter you can have a tall whiskey and admire your work!

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto

Reply to
Mr Akimoto

Reply to
Darnell

Yeah, that and the absolute surprise you can spring on your friends at the flying field by a bird that does something unexpected.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 05:14:08 GMT, "Six_O'Clock_High"

Reply to
Bob Cowell

Gee, I dont feel so bad that I am hoarding kits now! I have several Super Sportster kit versions stashed away for future builds and fly my SS20 on a regular basis. Its sad that kits are vanishing. I own a couple ARF's granted but my pride and joys are the kit built planes I bring to the field. Those are not disposable planes like the ARF's.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Was G.P.the original designer of the Supersportster or was it someon

else? I am asking on behalf of several club members that think ther may be another source for ,at least , plans for scratch building! Ca anyone answer this question---the Supersporster has been around fo about ten years(give or take). T.I.A

-- rivann

----------------------------------------------------------------------- rivanna's Profile:

this thread:

rivanna

I was going to say Bruce Tharpe but I think he designed the 4* planes instead.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

How about Lew Andrews. I think that GP may have obtained the plans when Andrews went out of business/factory burned, etc.. Does anyone remember the Andrews Trainermasters from the 60's & 70's?

Bruce C.

aa2dd

Reply to
aa2dd

HI! How meny remember the Trixter Invert control line of the late 40's early 50's had alot of fun with them in Massachusetts. Jim

Reply to
jcriggs

When I wrote the review of the SS Mk.II kit for RC Report I e-mailed an inquiry to Don Dewey as to the identity of the designer. He informed me that the Super Sportster had originally been called the RCM Sportster and that it was designed by Joe Bridi sometime in the early seventies. Great Planes was an autonomous company when they kitted it, but later got gobbled up by the Tower juggernaut (I think that was the sequence... the memories dim). The design is very similar in concept to the designs of Lou Andrews.

Rest in peace, Don. If you were still around I'm sure we'd still have RCM to enjoy.

Texas Pete

Reply to
Pete Kerezman

The Sportster series are basically RCM Trainers (also designed by Joe Bridi) with the wing on the bottom, instead of the top.

Joe's original airfoils and moments are still among the best flying today. In fact, I have some templates (airfoil) that I have collected over the years of building kits. When I began designing my own models, I noticed that most of the time I was using Joe's Trainer series airfoils, if I was building a constant chord wing. I have never been disappointed with the results.

Joe is a class act when it comes to airplane design.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

What I meant to say: The Bridi airfoil is within a hair of an exact match to a NACA 0016. Joe's big contributions were longer tail moments and increased tail surface area.

DougSter

Reply to
DougSter

Great Planes Manufacturing is owned and operated by Don Anderson.

They market their products through Hobbico who owns Tower and Great Planes Distributing etc.

Very closely related group.

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Prescott

Lots of unnecessary paperwork that only adds to confusion for the owners and the consumers.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Hi Ed. Do you know where I could get plans for the .25 Sportster ? I had 2 or 3 of those over the years and they were a great flying little airplane. Been a few years since I seen or flown one. My last one bit the dust when my roll on take was too low to allow wing clearance. :-( Today , one of our club members approached me to test fly and help him a bit with his new airplane. I said sure. A few minutes later here he came packing a shiny, new, Red.... with sunburst color scheme.... beautiful 48" span Sportster. My tongue almost left trails of drool on this sexy little aircraft. The 48" span would be a .25 size.......only this was the new Great Planes Sportster electric. Except for the fiberglass cowl it was a dead ringer for the original glow powered version.

I was really surprised with the performance , although not as good as a .25 glow , it flew very well. It did feel some heavier than the glow version since he was carrying about a pound of batteries. It was getting close to dark so we only had time for two flights.

He asked if I would mind helping him some more tomorrow since he is not real confident as yet flying it by himself. I'm really looking forward to flying it again.

Ken Day

Reply to
Hardwood

My guess would be to wait for the RCM Plans Service to open for business again. I'm fairly certain that they had the plans for the Sportsters. At least, IIRC.

Yep, the little Sportster was a favorite of mine too. Especially with a strong .32 to lightweight .40 in the nose.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger