a little off-topic: remotely operated impact wrench

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Jim Stewart wrote on Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:43:22 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

That was my understanding of how it is, the actual mechanics of it were "an exercise for the student/engineer/'true geek'".

Reply to
phamp

I do not know. My understanding was that "somehow", until Westinghouse made his changes, the attempts had been to use air pressure from the engine to the various cars to push brake pads onto the tires; and if the brakepipe broke, you were sol (Or SOB" "Simply out of Brakes".) from what others have posted, what Westinghouse did was to make a system which still used air to push brake pads onto tires, but in such a manner that if the brakepipe from the compressor on the engine failed, the brakes still functioned in a fail safe manner.

Reply to
phamp

Exactly.

My dad was a trainman for 33 years and I was lucky to get a firsthand explaination, along with descriptions of various 'incidents' concerning their use that he had witnessed over the years.

From a design engineering point of view, train brakes are pretty interesting. The have to work in a horrible environment with near-absolute safety. Their principle of operation is by no means intuitive yet engineers have little problem understanding and testing them. Westinghouse deserved to get rich for inventing them.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Without the 14th amendment , it dont matter how many guns you own , they will simply take away your guns at gun point .

Better think up a better plan , quick , before 2018 ....

Reply to
werty

They may..but they will be getting the ammo first..one bullet at a time.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

I have a plan, and it does not involve waiting until they get to my front door ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull