PICTURE of my shop crane with welded on casters

This crane moves very easily now, which is both good and bad, I will have to make sure that it is properly stopped in place and cannot move, before lifting anything. I have some wheel chocks though.

The good news is that I can get it to where I want it to be, relatively easily, without frustrations and busted knuckles.

The casters that the crane came with, are complete crap.

I welded the Peerless casters to the crane's legs. Using TIG process.

Ignoramus17640

For God's sake, buy a wire brush! (good job!)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

That dirty looking, irregular shape stuff on the weld bead is actually rust preventer...

Ignoramus17640

Looks like a sound weld, and by the lack of real serious discoloration, looks like the HAZ didn't come close to the bearings.

Iggy, you're good.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Thanks. I followed the advise, which was very good, to keep a wet rag near the weld area and to weld intermittently to let the area cool.

Ignoramus17640

Shurrrrrrre it is, wink, wink!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Applied a lot of blue/green "marine grease" to all fittings today, with a grease gun, this way I am pretty sure that it will never rust. I hope that when next summer comes, the grease would not all melt away as the crane gets hot from sunlight.

Ignoramus14670

If it gets that hot, the tires will melt first. Where do you live? Phoenix?

Steve, who lives in Las Vegas and hopes he has spent his last summer here.

Reply to
Steve B

You're getting there, Ig. If you ever get to Minneapolis, let me know ahead of time by email. You might enjoy an hour or two of experience-sharing with TIG -- and a bit of MIG as well. Your weld definitely looks functional, nice progress. You do keep sluggin', that's what gets 'er done. I think you could now be making tits gorgeous welds (if you care) with a bit of coaching.

This is not a subtle put-down, far from it. I don't invite many folks to visit my shop. Maybe 3 folks in the past 5 years.

There are certainly far better weldors than I, but I think I could now make you a noticably better weldor than you now are in less than an hour's time. Well, maybe two, I'm never in a hurry. Bring your auto-dark mask, I only have one.

I would purely love to visit Gunner for a bit of one-on-one tactical training with handgun and I know he'd be happy to provide it, but Taft CA is further than I wanna drive and I won't suffer the hassle associated with commercial air travel since 9/11.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Mi Casa, su Casa. And Ill provide the ammo if need be.

And that goes for most anyone here. Someone wants to learn the dark arts of tactical handgun, or even basic safety and handling..Ill make the time to teach. Same with Tactical Shotgun or rifle.

Extreme Range Personel Interdiction..Ill teach that on a more selective basis. And that art takes time...lots of time....lots of range time and field time.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Illinois. I would say that the crane legs could get up to about

120-140 degrees under direct sunlight. i
Reply to
Ignoramus27276

Don, thank you, I definitely appreciate the invitation. If I ever go to that area, I will let you know. It would indeed be fun to do something interesting and see your shop.

Ignoramus27276

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:05:09 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Damn, why don't you move to Oregon so you'd becloser. I'd take you up on that offer. ;)

I know what Don means about air travel. I put Patsy on a plane in Medford and watched her take off her belt, watch, jewelry, shoes, and anything else metal before heading through the detectors at the first screening gate. Knitting needles and sharpened pencils are OK, ONE INCH LONG pocket knives and cuticle scissors are too deadly to let onboard. Toothpaste is a NO-NO on carry-on, as are liquid deodorants and makeups. Go effin' figure!

Those PTBs are getting their way, aren't they?

-- Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. -- Charles Lindbergh

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Be fair. Back in '86 I went through the metal detector at Seoul airport. Emptied the keys and screwdrivers and cash out of my pockets and went through again. Took the foil lined gum packet and the ball point pens out of my pockets and took my metal framed glasses off and went through again. Then took my steel toe capped boots off and went through again. They weren't at all bothered about the aerosol cans, cables, circuit boards and NiCad batteries in my suitcase...

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I have used Eurostar to get to Belgium and Germany several times. Sometimes they have wanted to look at engineering items in my luggage. I didn't mind because they were polite and friendly. Most security guys at the airport seem to treat you like a criminal unless proven otherwise, and that's what I object to. Plus you have to sit around for AGES at the airport for no good reason. Trains to Europe are the way forward!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy