SUCCESS -- Bridgeport mill is home and on Casters.

My Bridgeport mill is finally home. It is a Textron model with a
bigger knee. For some pictures, including closeups of flaking marks,
coolant pump, etc see

I did place it on casters today. I raised it with my chain hoist,
while sweating from fear that something will go wrong. All the while I
kept stacks of wood under the mill so that it would not have too far
to fall.
See pictures of the base how it was welded, and mill in casters here:

The mill did fit the base (thanks to Richard Kinch's drawing) just
perfectly. I am very glad that I added 0.5" to the dimensions, because
it just barely fit. About 2mm less and it would not fit along the
longer dimension. Perhaps not all mill foundations are the same. (I
did not have the mill while making the base)
There are no signs of buckling of the base under the weight of the
mill. I can move this mill about the shop, alone, though it is not
easy. So, the base is going its indended job. I am going to raise the
mill a little by placing 2x4s under the corners, so that the casters
are relieved. I will remove the front bar with casters, but not the
rear bar (it is not a problem in the shop).
I still have to wire in the VFD, though a few days ago I did figure
out how to operate it, with a spare 1 HP motor. I also have to bolt
the mill to the base.
Ignoramus20900
That is an lube oil pump not a coolant pump. I would recommend taking it off and cleaning it. There is a screen under the bottom of the pump mechanism that gets clogged up. After cleaning the unit I would put some lube oil cut with kerosene and pump the mix through the lube system to clean out the system. Note any places were it is not oiling and replace the metering units.
John
Reply to
John
There is both a lube oil (way oil) pump, as well as a coolant pump.
The coolant pump can be seen here:
I will check it out, perhaps I can find a manual for it. My first plan is to wire in the VFD.
Ignoramus20900
> My Bridgeport mill is finally home. It is a Textron model with a > bigger knee. For some pictures, including closeups of flaking marks, > coolant pump, etc see > > >>>>cut
Reply to
Paul
Are you thinking of a DRO for it?
Reply to
Tom Gardner
Congrats. I imagine the hard part in moving it is to get it headed in the right direction.
-jim
Ignoramus20900 wrote:
jim
I wish you lot of fun while falling over the base's legs or your legs hitting the sharp corners. Brilliant work as always.
Nick
Reply to
Nick Mueller
Yes, that is quite correct. It is not that hard -- I do not have to use any levers -- but I have to push rather forcefully to turn it. But I can do it alone. Anyway, it is 100 times better than having it stationary.
Ignoramus27187
Thats a coolant pump all right... It looks like an add on. There is a standard coolant pump and coolant pan for the bridgeport. In fact I have one lying outside in the back. If anything we use a mister on the bridgeports or nothing. Full flow coolant on a bridgeport requires a maid to clean up the mess. :)
John
Reply to
john
Yes, I am not yet sure what I will do wit this pump...
Ignoramus27187
Nice job Ig.
TMT
Reply to
Too_Many_Tools
Thank you.
To Pete C, I think that I solved the cooling problem.
The tank with the cooling pump had some substance in it. I looked at it, it seemed oily, like tapmatic cutting fluid that I had. The quantity is perhaps 2 or so gallons. It has a ambery, but darker brown appearance.
I filled a couple of 1 liter plastic water bottles with it.
I bought a spritzing/spraying bottle at a hardware store and filled it also.
Tried milling with it, if I spray a jet of it into the milling area (with the spray bottle) periodically, it seems to do a good job lubricating (no untoward noises, etc).
I believe that this substance is oil based.
Ignoramus23870
Put a couple teaspoons of it in a small jar and add some water. See if it mixes or just floats on the top.
If it was dried down soluble oil, it will mix into a milky emulsion very easy.
I have found that soluble will dry down fairly well if it does not have a bunch of machine oil floating on top of it. Put oil on top, and it turns to swampsludge, complete with lily pads. Ewww!
Cheers Trevor Jones
Reply to
Trevor Jones