SUCCESS -- Bridgeport mill is home and on Casters.

My Bridgeport mill is finally home. It is a Textron model with a bigger knee. For some pictures, including closeups of flaking marks,
coolant pump, etc see
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/My-Bridgeport-Mill/
I did place it on casters today. I raised it with my chain hoist, while sweating from fear that something will go wrong. All the while I kept stacks of wood under the mill so that it would not have too far to fall.
See pictures of the base how it was welded, and mill in casters here:
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/My-Bridgeport-Mill/Mobile-Bridgeport-Mill-Base-On-Casters/
The mill did fit the base (thanks to Richard Kinch's drawing) just perfectly. I am very glad that I added 0.5" to the dimensions, because it just barely fit. About 2mm less and it would not fit along the longer dimension. Perhaps not all mill foundations are the same. (I did not have the mill while making the base)
There are no signs of buckling of the base under the weight of the mill. I can move this mill about the shop, alone, though it is not easy. So, the base is going its indended job. I am going to raise the mill a little by placing 2x4s under the corners, so that the casters are relieved. I will remove the front bar with casters, but not the rear bar (it is not a problem in the shop).
I still have to wire in the VFD, though a few days ago I did figure out how to operate it, with a spare 1 HP motor. I also have to bolt the mill to the base.
Ignoramus20900 wrote:

That is an lube oil pump not a coolant pump. I would recommend taking it off and cleaning it. There is a screen under the bottom of the pump mechanism that gets clogged up. After cleaning the unit I would put some lube oil cut with kerosene and pump the mix through the lube system to clean out the system. Note any places were it is not oiling and replace the metering units.
John

There is both a lube oil (way oil) pump, as well as a coolant pump.
The coolant pump can be seen here:
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/My-Bridgeport-Mill/My-Bridgeport-Mill-0014.jpg.html

I will check it out, perhaps I can find a manual for it. My first plan is to wire in the VFD.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/My-Bridgeport-Mill/My-Bridgeport-Mill-0014.jpg.html
Thats a coolant pump all right... It looks like an add on. There is a standard coolant pump and coolant pan for the bridgeport. In fact I have one lying outside in the back. If anything we use a mister on the bridgeports or nothing. Full flow coolant on a bridgeport requires a maid to clean up the mess. :)
John

Yes, I am not yet sure what I will do wit this pump...
Ignoramus20900 wrote:

> [...]

Iggy
Congrats on the mill. Don't know what you paid for it but it does look like a pretty nice specimen. You don't see many with the quill downfeed hand wheel still on 'em!
Paul
It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.

Yes, that is quite correct. It is not that hard -- I do not have to use any levers -- but I have to push rather forcefully to turn it. But I can do it alone. Anyway, it is 100 times better than having it stationary.

Ignoramus20900 wrote:

I wish you lot of fun while falling over the base's legs or your legs hitting the sharp corners. Brilliant work as always.
Nick

Thank you.
To Pete C, I think that I solved the cooling problem.
The tank with the cooling pump had some substance in it. I looked at it, it seemed oily, like tapmatic cutting fluid that I had. The quantity is perhaps 2 or so gallons. It has a ambery, but darker brown appearance.
I filled a couple of 1 liter plastic water bottles with it.
I bought a spritzing/spraying bottle at a hardware store and filled it also.
Tried milling with it, if I spray a jet of it into the milling area (with the spray bottle) periodically, it seems to do a good job lubricating (no untoward noises, etc).
I believe that this substance is oil based.
Ignoramus23870 wrote:

Put a couple teaspoons of it in a small jar and add some water. See if it mixes or just floats on the top.
If it was dried down soluble oil, it will mix into a milky emulsion very easy.
I have found that soluble will dry down fairly well if it does not have a bunch of machine oil floating on top of it. Put oil on top, and it turns to swampsludge, complete with lily pads. Ewww!
Cheers Trevor Jones