PICTURE of my shop crane with welded on casters

This crane moves very easily now, which is both good and bad, I will have to make sure that it is properly stopped in place and cannot move, before lifting anything. I have some wheel chocks though.

The good news is that I can get it to where I want it to be, relatively easily, without frustrations and busted knuckles.

The casters that the crane came with, are complete crap.

I welded the Peerless casters to the crane's legs. Using TIG process.

Ignoramus17640

For God's sake, buy a wire brush! (good job!)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

That dirty looking, irregular shape stuff on the weld bead is actually rust preventer...

Ignoramus17640

Looks like a sound weld, and by the lack of real serious discoloration, looks like the HAZ didn't come close to the bearings.

Iggy, you're good.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Thanks. I followed the advise, which was very good, to keep a wet rag near the weld area and to weld intermittently to let the area cool.

Ignoramus17640

Shurrrrrrre it is, wink, wink!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Applied a lot of blue/green "marine grease" to all fittings today, with a grease gun, this way I am pretty sure that it will never rust. I hope that when next summer comes, the grease would not all melt away as the crane gets hot from sunlight.

Ignoramus14670

If it gets that hot, the tires will melt first. Where do you live? Phoenix?

Steve, who lives in Las Vegas and hopes he has spent his last summer here.

Reply to
Steve B

Illinois. I would say that the crane legs could get up to about

120-140 degrees under direct sunlight. i
Reply to
Ignoramus27276