Made machine feet for my Bridgeport -- pix and question

I made adjustable machine feet. I want to perfectly level my
Bridgeport mill by adjusting legs. Then some manipulations of parts
during milling would become easier, as I could use a machinist level
to align parts in vises horizontally. I want them to also be
retractable so that I can mount the casters back and move the mill
around.
These feet are made from 1"-10 all thread studs and same nuts, welded
onto 0.25x1.5x4.75" steel flats.

I have not yet welded them to the mill's bottom frame (which is a
homemade frame for casters, if you recall, I would not be welding
these feet to the actual machine base).
My question is whether I need some set screw or some such, to prevent
these 1" allthread studs from working themselves out of alignment,
over the years, due to vibration. Or would they just hold in place.
Right now, they are held by the nuts to the extent of being either
difficult or impossible to turn by hand, but all are easy to turn with
a wrench. (due to changes of alignment that happened during welding).
My gut feeling is that setscrews are not necessary, but I wanted to
hear some opinions first.
thanks
Ignoramus7760
Paul (and Ecnerwal) thanks. I am not sure if there is clearance for a jam nut, due to nuts having been welded to flat bars.
Ignoramus7760
Good idea Ig and well excuted.
I would use a jam nut...it will hold.
FYI...you may want to use the long all thread coupling nuts next time...it makes the job easier. They are normally used to connect lengths of all thread together. I used them on a similar project and they eliminated the problem of trying to keep a series of smaller nuts aligned while welding.
TMT
Reply to
Too_Many_Tools
thanks. I wil try to think of a way to enable me to use a jam nut. Maybe I would use a couple of washers. In reality, I think that I am worrying about nothing and there are no forces that could make the bolts turn in their nuts.
thanks, the ones I saw at McMaster, in that size, were very expensive.
I welded the nuts, with the allthread studs in them, so that they would keep some alignment. Which they sort of did, the studs go all the way in them, but they are tighter than they were to begin with.
By the way, I used a hex collet holder to machine 3/4" hex on the studs (for sockets and wrenches)
Ignoramus7760
I suggest that you add pads, say 6 X 6 X 1/2" steel, spot drilled for your leveling bolts. The way your photos show it you have the machine bearing only on the 1 inch bolts. A bit of vibration and I guarantee that one or the other of those bolts will abrade their way into the floor and ruin your careful leveling. It also helps to place a layer of something between the bottom of the pad and the floor th ensure that the pad bears evenly on the floor, i.e., doesn't just hit the high spots, as it were.
Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)
Reply to
Bruce
When I did my weight bench, I welded 3/4 hex heavy nuts on square tube, knowing the nuts would shrink from the welding. I just ran a tap through after welding.
Pete Keillor
Reply to
Pete Keillor
"Ignoramus23517" wrote in message news:e66dnZFfvdpv0j7bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...
...ah but if you are using coolant, it isn't just swarf that the swarf tray collects - been there and got the T shirt !
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
You are located in the Midwest, aren't you?
When I travel to Midwest, I stop and pick up supplies along the trip route at Ace Hardware and TSC stores both of which did have these nuts (1" diameter) in stock and at a reasonable cost. Bear in mind that inventories do change and they may not carry them any longer.
TMT
Reply to
Too_Many_Tools
OK, I found some suitable product, McMaster item 7786T12. These are 2" diameter, 1/2" thick steel bars. I will mill depressions in them, maybe 1/8" deep, that would accommodate the 1" rods tp keep them centered. They cost $2.47 each, which is relatively affordable.
Milling 1 1/6" wide roud holes would ne a nice first application for the rotary table.
Ignoramus23517
That will work, though simply plunging a 1" endmill in the center is quicker.
Gunner, who wonders why you have to level a BP in the first place. All your references will be from the table......
Reply to
Gunner Asch
That, and also it is nice to use a little machinist level to mount parts in a vise horizontally, knowing that horizontal means they will be parallel to the table..
Ignoramus3627
Um.... Iggy? Do you _really_ rely upon a level to set work parallel to the table?
Um..... they make this little thingy called a "dial indicator" for that work.
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
He does it that way: Put the magnetic base onto the table, dial indicator in it pointing onto work and move table along X. *DEAD* parallel! :-)))
Nick
Reply to
Nick Mueller

Site Timeline