A little problem removing a gear from a shaft

I am trying to remove a gear (approx 3 inch Dia) from the end of a ball screw (approx 1-1/4 inch). It seems to have a taper pin, at least the manual shows a taper pin. the head of the pin is rounded and sticks out about 1/32 from the collar of the gear. there is a through hole on the other side of the collar , which is empty. I have been trying to punch the pin out from the 'hollow'.

I have tried everything I can think of except heat (there is a risk of fire in this location). I made a punch , got a big hammer and had a mechanic try to loosen it, no results. I then built a device alot like a 'nut splitter'. thinking it could 'push' the pin out. I made it very heavy duty and used a hardened drive screw , again no results. (except broken tool).

is there a trick ? or a hydraulic tool I should buy ? or a magic spell. FYI I am doomed if I can't remove it.

Reply to
Vinny

Try to heat the gear with a propane torch , it is important that the shaft stays cool, then try too hammer the pin out.

Have you tried an gear puller?

The absolutly last resort you can try is too simply drill that pin out. Be advised that you can destroy the shaft or the gear with this metod.

The radical metod is ( if you dont care about the gear ) to split the gear in 2 bits using an cutting tool.

"Vinny" skrev i melding news:160220051507274289% snipped-for-privacy@radiantheat.com...

Reply to
H-k

You could also be trying to push the pin out the wrong way. File the mushroom off and try going that way. It may be that the end got mushroomed to insure that it doesn't come out.

Bob May

yah know there is, right? jus not as big

Reply to
yourname

A little heat would prolly do it

Reply to
yourname

I would drill it out. But, start with a very small drill, and keep drilling to a larger size until you have just a SHELL of the pin left. Then use a gear puller, and what's left of the pin will shear right off. Or, you could go in with a tapered reamer, and remove the remnants of the taper pin. Ream a little extra, to clean up the hold, and then slip the gear off. I would mark the shaft/gear, so you can put it back the same way without hesitation or error. If you put it back wrong, the taper pin will go in part way, and then hang up.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I hate to suggest the obvious, but are you sure you're pushing the right way, i.e., is the exposed end possibly the small end?

If all else fails you can drill the pin out and ream for the next larger size pin when you put it back together.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Reply to