A makeshift tap wrench?

[ ... ]

That sounds like a "starting tap" -- one of a set of three, the other two being a "plug tap" and a "bottoming tap".

I don't know for sure, but I got the impression that he was tapping a fairly shallow blind hole, which calls for a plug tap to start with, and a bottoming tap to finish up with.

Given that the workpiece is hardened, I suspect that a carbon steel tap would be too brittle for the task (and this may be what he got). I would consider one of HSS (High Speed Steel) to be more durable in this task.

And, my preference for most tapping, including hand tapping, is one designed for machine tapping -- the spiral tip or "gun tap", which can be good (without frequent reversing) until you get too close to the bottom of the hole, at which point a bottoming tap is still required in a blind hole. The gun tap is even better for a through hole, as it chases the chips ahead of it and does not require the frequent reverals to break chips that normal hand taps require.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Don,

Feel free to call it a "starter tap" if you like...

--my point mostly was that for the inexperienced, it is probably going to be their best bet,

Needless to say, for shallow holes, where it is desired to have full-threads that extend nearly to the bottom, they would need to follow up with the appropriate tool.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

These are the names I want to see on a tap:

Jim Wilkins

In catalogs they are called "taper", "plug", and 'bottoming" taps.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Thanks, mine looked nothing like it:

Hanson brand (pic)

G. Morgan

2 flute taps (such as most of the spiral point varieties ) can be difficult to consistantly get started straight without using some sort of a guide which is why I suggest stay away from them and use a tap having 3 or more straight flutes instead.
Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Seriously it defies logic how Hanson is able to maintain such a large market share at the hardware store /auto parts retail level--at best, their quality can only be described as "dismal"

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Hardware-store taps are good for repairs like cleaning out damaged or rusty threads, and maybe tapping aluminum, same with the plastic-cased sets.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins