A test for young people

That interstate commerce clause causes a lot of mischief.

Wes

Wes

Food prices declined? Where are you shopping? Yukon Gold potatoes used to be

2.99 for 5# before the mid west floods one or two years ago, since then, stuck at 3.99 for 5#.

Marie Calendar, Boston Market, Hungry Man tv dinners up 10 to 20 percent in the last year.

Then there is the portion shaving Marie Calendar is doing along with a price increase.

Fuel had a huge increase a while back, wages never covered it. Somehow I didn't see it in our core inflation numbers, I did feel it in my wallet.

Then there is wage freezes due to our current economic difficulties. Makes any increase in inflation a bit more significant.

Wes

Wes

2.99 for 5#

the last year.

didn't see it in

A lot of food around here went up %50 over the last two years. Most of that, in the past year.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

A little sarcasim Ed, personal consumer price index diverge from the national average.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Indeed they do.Which means that roughly half of them are lower.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

There were three refineries there in town - El Paso. They were supplying Biggs Air Force Base and the Army. Biggs really drank it in the cold war days. The three companies got into a over stock issue and decided to undercut.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Before the floods? Are we talking here about THE Flood, with Noah and all that stuff?

Jeez, Wes. You're giving us anecdotes about potatoes and TV dinners in one town in northern Michigan when we were talking about national averages.

Maybe what the country really needs is a Hungry Man Prices in Northern Michigan Index, to guide our economy...

So, call Marie and complain.

If you didn't see it in the CPI-U, you weren't looking. Gasoline went up

53.5% last year, nationwide. It's in the reports.

Sure. But this is about as low as you want it to go. Any lower, and consumption and bank deposits both dry up at the same time.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Or someone willing to work for 20c an hour?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In 1949, I decided that if I ever got a job paying $1.00 per hour, I would be a rich man! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

1965 - working at Mobil Oil field research station in Dallas. They had a pump on site for employees that was alway $0.20 / gal. Never got used - we could always find cheaper in town. Hamburger, gas and grapes - nineteen cents a pound or gallon.
Reply to
aslub

Where it heck did you hill climb it up here in TC? I know that it's a lot more developed, now - but not that many good hills.

Reply to
aslub

I took a look on Google and couldn't find a thing about it. Amazing. Anyway, I called some sports car shop in the area and talked to an old guy who remembers it, and another young one in another shop who's heard about it; the first thinks it actually was in Empire, and the second thinks it was on Holiday Hill Road. I just flat-out don't remember. It was not exactly a big hill, unlike Giant's Despair.

The older guy is going to get me in touch with one of the people who drove in it. We're talking about 1968 here. I hope the old guy can hear me OK.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Holiday Hill Road, iirc, winds up to a possibly defunct ski operation. It was the end point for the Ice Man MTB race when I was in good enough shape to do it a number of years ago. Entered twice, finished once. (we had snow that year!)

No comment on Empire, since I really don't recall the topology.

Wes

Wes

Nah, there were some major flooding a couple years ago that hurt the potato crop.

Well, the Joe Six pack index would be handy. Maybe even the Joe Camel six pack index for those that smoke ;) (I don't)

I complained about the shortage to ConAgra, they sent a free coupon for a dinner. I'll just wait for new "larger portions" before I buy from them again.

Wes

Wes

BTW, Yukon Gold Potatoes are on sale for $2.99/pound at Shop Rite in Edison, NJ. I could ship some to you. d8-)

There are dozens of CPI calculations. Just pick the one you like. Here are the basic, most popular ones. CPI-U is the one they usually quote in the newscasts. BTW, the CPI-W (includes Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers) is the one that's used to calculate COLAs for Social Security and VA benefits. I think it runs Oct. through the following Sept. --

Squeeky Wheel Syndrome. My wife is good at that.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Can I get Enco free shipping? ;)

I'll give it a look in depth tomorrow. Notice a lot are urban numbers. Joe Six pack lives out in the rural areas.

I had a drywall square that wasn't. Brother's wife took it to the store I bought it from years ago and got a replacement. If my brother ever expands to more than a one man operation, she is a candidate for working in Accounts Payable.

Wes

Wes

[snip]

Trouble is, it seems to be their only response. My wife likes a certain brand of flavored coffee creamer; a while ago they changed the bottle to a stupid shape that fits poorly in the fridge, with a cap that is less than functional. Somebody's idea of an "artistic" approach, no doubt. She complained that the packaging was making the product tough to use, and she got a coupon for - guess what. Still a PITA, regardless of price. But it beats having to think through to arrive at a solution.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Packaging can be annoying. I'm currently ranting about Costco's "cube" one-gallon milk bottle, which apparently saves shipping cost but which dribbles like crazy. For a month or so they put an extra lip on the inside of the spout, which stopped the dribble. But then they dropped it again. So I complained. They said they were "sorry." If my wife had handled it, they would have sent her a cow.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I live in Mormon country. They either don't sell Amaretto creamer, or have it in the prohibitively expensive smaller containers, but WILL NOT stock the larger ones. Even though it is non-alcoholic, it tastes similar enough to the liquor to break the purity of anyone who drinks it. Supposedly.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Well, I live at just off the top of Holiday Road. It might have been here, since all the subdivisions have been built up since then. It was a country road back then, which is why it is crumbling terribly with the new levels of traffic. Do you remember a ski hill? It probably was developed after '68, but is right about where the road levels out for a bit. Would have been like a big bowl that you didn't want to slide off in to. Just about a mile from 5 Mile corner, which would be a good length for a hill climb.

Hope the old guys remember - it would be neat to know since I live up here now.

Karl

Reply to
aslub