Adjustable hole saw/circle cutter

I recently had to create a circular hole in a brass plate that was 1.325" diameter. Since this isn't an even inch or metric size, I used my 30+ year old General adjustable circle cutter (which, according to the latest Enco catalog I have is still sold in pretty much exactly the same form as the one I have).

But I found this tool very difficult to adjust to an "exact" size and wondered if there was anything out there that would be easier, perhaps something with a screw-adjustment?

TIA Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

"Norm Dresner" wrote in news:E%yvf.424153$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Adjustable boring head.

Reply to
Anthony

Yep, 10x the convenience at 10x the price.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Back in the days when I fooled around with model high powered rockets I had to make bulkheads and tube rings out of plywood, that had to fit snu nside the body tubes, and I used to have problems when setting the exact diameter and then tighening it up, it always moved on me. I replaced the setscrew they used for locking it down, with a cup point type. The ones they had were just flat on the end. It was much better in holding an exact size after just changing the setscrew....Also I found that the cutting tool if its not ground properly has a tendancy just like a parting tool does, to pull to one side or the other especialy if there is much of any type of thickness to the material no matter what it was being cut......thus it would make a smaller or larger diameter hole even though it would measure dead on what you wanted.

It took me a long time to figure out it was the way the tool was ground that made most of my problems.

Reply to
Roy