Air rifle scope mount question

Forgive the slightly off topic post.

I recently picked up a beeman RX-2 in .20 and would like to scope it with a Weaver V-16. This gas spring air rifle really punishes scopes from what I have read.

My question concerns mounts. Beeman makes a nice, steel, one-piece mount (#5040) as well as a similar mount that has rubber bushings to help absord the 2-direction recoil.

I want to know if the 5040 would be sufficient or if the "dampa" mount is a better choice to preserve my investment in optics.

Also, would accuracy suffer from having the scope "float" on flexible rubber bushings?

I know these are fairly specific questions, but I'm hoping some one here has experience with this stuff. I've read a few useful discussions on gun-related topics on RCM in the past. I also asked in the air gun group.

Thanks.

Jeff Dantzler Seattle, WA

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

Yes indeed. I blew out a Leopold scope that came off my 375 H&H with about 25 shots from a Feinwerkbau spring gun.

A V-16? Thats a scope that is designed from scratch for useage on a spring gun.

Personally, Id go with the solid mount. The impulse is over in a faction of a second with a solid mount. Rubber mounts, even on electronic equipment, tend to bounce for many times as long. YMMV of course.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Reply to
Gunner

Thanks Gunner.

JLD

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

Jeff,

Near as I can figure, and what I've done is just get the scope designed for spring piston air rifles and use rigid mounts. Mine are made of brass, cause it's what I had and it's my favourite colour.....shiny.

I haven't yet had a problem. I think the trouble most people have with air rifle scopes is that they tend to look and feel cheap. And therefore think a better or more expensive scope should make for better accuracy.

Hope this helps,

Tinker

Reply to
Misty & Sean Foley

rcm...GUNS! phhphhphhp! Don't be silly!

Reply to
Old Nick

Lots of gunsmiths, both pro and amateur read this newsgroup. Lots of us started our home shops specifically so we could do such work.

Metalworking.....

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

And others have found them to be very handy for that, after the fact!

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Thanks. I ended up getting a fine deal on the rigid mount on eBay this past weekend. The scope I chose is a quality optic designed tough enough to stand up to air rifle use. It would also be happy on a .22 or an AR.

So you machined your own mount? Nice and appropriate metalworking content.

Cheers and thank you--Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler