Another step to metal-free appliances

We've seen the "3D printers" make parts, but this is the first time I recall seeing one make an entire "assembly." (maybe I just haven't been paying
attention?)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1368113/Go-print-bike-The-technology-enables-run-working-cycle.html or http://tinyurl.com/6fhhotw

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1368113/Go-print-bike-The-technology-enables-run-working-cycle.html
I have seen small moving assemblies printed using methods where each layer of powder is fused together, and the unfused powder supports the loose parts.
Still I think this article is a bit misleading. The bike must have been made in parts to put on the tires and chain. I also see a some type of snap together joint between the vertical and horizontal members. I am not sure I beleive that it is as strong but lighter than an aluminum frame.
anorton wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1368113/Go-print-bike-The-technology-enables-run-working-cycle.html
Me, too!

They left themselves an out - they said, "Aluminum and steel." ;-)
Cheers! Rich
Edward A. Falk, snipped-for-privacy@rahul.net wrote:

That's what intrigued me about this story; the possibility that these two sentences can be taken at face value:
Individual components such as gears, pedals and wheels are usually made in different factories and assembled into a finished bike but the Airbike is a single, complete part. The wheels, bearings and axle are incorporated into the 'growing' process, known as Additive Layer Manufacturing.
Then you have to ask questions such as, "What are the tires made of?" "Are they grown on the rim as part of the process?" "How about the 'chain'?" (which possibly looks more like a belt to me)
The replicator gets closer and closer to reality.
Steve Ackman wrote:

Maybe, but I don't think I'm ready to try a nylon steak. ;-D
Cheers! Rich

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1368113/Go-print-bike-The-technology-enables-run-working-cycle.html
Interesting idler on the pull (applied force) side of the drive belt.