Any Marvel Saw users out there?

I just finished getting the Marvel Model 8 Mark II Saw installed at school. I got it Friday from Boeing Surplus with some of the donation money they gave to my school.

It seems to work perfectly, but we did not get a manual with it. We can order the manual for $25, but it will take at least a week to get it. The saw is maybe 10 years old, but looks identical to the one currently sold.

What I am curious about is how you set the automatic feed speed. On the right hand side of the front of the machine there is a Blade Speed adjustment dial. Does this affect the feed speed as well?

We need blades for it. The blades I will be ordering are

14"-6" x 1" x 1/16"

As to TPI I am thinking 4-6 vari-pitch or 5-8 vari-pitch. I had not heard of the 5-8 vari-pitch until the guy at MetalSupermarket raved about them. We will likely get Lennox Commercial Production blades.

We will mostly be cutting 1" plate 6" wide for welding tests.

Any suggestions?

We only got the basic vise. Is there a variety of hold down options for this saw?

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Hey Ernie,

A buddy has a couple of Marvel saws and likes them, but I'm sorry, his shop (and presumably manuals) is about 70 miles from me. I suspect that you could get a manual FedEx faster than a week, and should arrive about the same time as a blade anyway.

The photo you sent looks like the smaller one he has, except for the tilt-table yours has, so maybe there is a difference. These are a "Roll-In" type saw, where the "feed speed" is not a speed so much as a pressure. Along the right-hand side, there should be an adjustment that determines this pressure, and along the left edge, there should be a set of adjustable stop points.

As this is for a school, you just have to know that someone will use the saw when you are not looking, so get a reasonable TPI. My friend always says the blade pitch is the most important, so that after you cut your 1" plate that someone like me doesn't come along and cut a piece of 1/8" and take off all the teeth. (Ooops!! Sorry about that Dario.) It only takes him (not me) a few minutes to change the blade.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Reply to
Brian Lawson

James P Crombie

Summerside Machinist Prince Edward Island Amateur Astronomer Canada 3D Designer

E-mail snipped-for-privacy@pei.eastlink.ca Astronomy webpage

3D webpage
Grinder page

James P Crombie

Reply to
James P Crombie

Yeah, but you have to be on a PC to download them because they are .EXE files.

I use a Mac.

I am going to try downloading them at school.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler