Any Marvel Saw users out there?

I just finished getting the Marvel Model 8 Mark II Saw installed at
school.
I got it Friday from Boeing Surplus with some of the donation money
they gave to my school.
It seems to work perfectly, but we did not get a manual with it.
We can order the manual for $25, but it will take at least a week to
get it.
The saw is maybe 10 years old, but looks identical to the one currently
sold.

What I am curious about is how you set the automatic feed speed.
On the right hand side of the front of the machine there is a Blade
Speed adjustment dial.
Does this affect the feed speed as well?
We need blades for it.
The blades I will be ordering are
14"-6" x 1" x 1/16"
As to TPI I am thinking 4-6 vari-pitch or 5-8 vari-pitch.
I had not heard of the 5-8 vari-pitch until the guy at MetalSupermarket
raved about them.
We will likely get Lennox Commercial Production blades.
We will mostly be cutting 1" plate 6" wide for welding tests.
Any suggestions?
We only got the basic vise.
Is there a variety of hold down options for this saw?
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
Hey Ernie,
A buddy has a couple of Marvel saws and likes them, but I'm sorry, his shop (and presumably manuals) is about 70 miles from me. I suspect that you could get a manual FedEx faster than a week, and should arrive about the same time as a blade anyway.
The photo you sent looks like the smaller one he has, except for the tilt-table yours has, so maybe there is a difference. These are a "Roll-In" type saw, where the "feed speed" is not a speed so much as a pressure. Along the right-hand side, there should be an adjustment that determines this pressure, and along the left edge, there should be a set of adjustable stop points.
As this is for a school, you just have to know that someone will use the saw when you are not looking, so get a reasonable TPI. My friend always says the blade pitch is the most important, so that after you cut your 1" plate that someone like me doesn't come along and cut a piece of 1/8" and take off all the teeth. (Ooops!! Sorry about that Dario.) It only takes him (not me) a few minutes to change the blade.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Reply to
Brian Lawson
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. It got so bad at work I had to install key lock switches on the vertical and horizontal saws. I used to scrape at least one blade a week before the locks, I cut that down to less than one a month. I don't think I had ever worn out a blade until the locks were in place :-) They payed for themselves in less than a month.
Brian Laws> As this is for a school, you just have to know that someone will use
James P Crombie
Summerside Machinist Prince Edward Island Amateur Astronomer Canada 3D Designer
E-mail snipped-for-privacy@pei.eastlink.ca Astronomy webpage
3D webpage
Grinder page

James P Crombie
Ernie Did you check out the video on the downloads page? Shows all of the controls for the saw. Big download(41mb) but only a couple of minutes with broadband.
Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:
Reply to
James P Crombie
Yeah, but you have to be on a PC to download them because they are .EXE files.
I use a Mac.
I am going to try downloading them at school.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler