Marvel Saws ROCK!!!!!!!!

I got our new (to us )Marvel Model 8 Mark II saw running Tuesday evening, but couldn't get purchase approval until today to buy the blades. WOW!!!!! An amazing saw. This thing just slides through 1" plate steel like nothing.

Normally to make up a set of 1" test plates for a welding cert, a student has to use the track burner to cut the 2 pieces and bevel the inside edges to something close to 22.5 deg each. This way you get a 45 deg included angle. This process takes about 20 - 30 minutes if they know what they are doing. On the Marvel saw I cut a set of test plates in 3 minutes.

3 cuts, 1 minute each, including measuring, moving materiel and clamping.

I am just so blown away. It turned out that the manuafacturer , Armstrong-Blum, has a distributor here in Kent WA. They carry the blades in stock.

I got 10 blades, 5-8 vari-pitch for about $50 each. That should last us a year.

I was slicing things all night. Just for fun I cut 6 sets of test plates and handed them out to my students. What a hoot.

The straightness of the cut is unreal. I took a slice off some heavy wall tube that was 1/32" thick all the way.

That's it. Just wanted to share the good news.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Snip

Thank you for sharing your joy, Ernie. But, now you've raised my curiousity. What is it about the saw that makes it do the job so fast?

Orrin

Reply to
Orrin Iseminger

It is so cool to have the right tool for the job isn't it?

Lane

Reply to
lane

I've seen this saw, Orrin. It's big and well made. When I say big, I mean you'd have to stack up about 100 9" South Bends to get that big.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Power and proper engineering.

I can understand now why these saws have barely changed in 80 years. What a great design.

Ernie Leimkuhler

That might be a slight exageration Grant. I'd say only about 90 9" South Bends

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Exactly.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Arnie,

I realize this is probably over simplifying, but is this Marvel saw a power fed vertical bandsaw? That's what it looks like to me, just wondering.

At first I thought you were talking about a cold cut saw, but a 1" cut in

1 minute sounded a little too fast.

Regards, Jim C Roberts

Reply to
Jim Roberts

Reply to
Grant Erwin

The Bandasw is in the Vertical position and feeds horizontally across the table. The Table does not move. The saw does.

These saws are very popular in Structural steel shops because it is so easy to load an I-beam onto the saw.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler