Now this is a power hacksaw

Check out this Ebay auction for an Armstrong-Blum Mfg. Co. Marvel #18 power hacksaw. I have nothing to do with this seller. I just thought it looked pretty awesome. Plus the price is right at the moment. Jesse

Jesse

It looks like a fine machine.

Steve

Jesse wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

Unfortunately, it will most likely go for scrap. Its too slow for industry, too big and heavy for the hobbyist. FWIW, I've still got a Kellor hack saw for $50. Nice unit, weighs maybe 300 lbs. At least two people on this NG said they would be right out and never showed up.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

If I was nearby, I might be tempted to buy it. I am a great believer in power hacksaws. They cut square, the blades and cheap, and they don't increasingly suck with age like bandsaws. Old bandsaws are a lot more trouble than old power hacksaws. I have a nice Qualters & Smith 8 inch hacksaw from about 1965. These are now really cheap in the UK. With the growth of the internet and eBay, you can get one for much less than I did 7 years ago. They're a real bargain now, but at about

450 kg they're about the largest you'd want in a home shop. Used machinery rules. You just get more for your money.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I think that that eBay machine deserves to go to scrap.

Ignoramus12968

I don't know why you think that. If you have an need for cutting big stock, it looks a good machine. Much better than any power hacksaw or bandsaw which came out of the far east.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

problem i see with it is that its too high. i wouldnt want to load it

Reply to
erik litchy

Which model, and where are you at? I've had a 12" and an 18" Keller, both were excellent machines.

Steve

Karl Townsend wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

Would make a great machine base for a cold saw or maybe a chop saw. I wonder if one could make a band saw out of it?

Last time I used a PHS was high school. Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Why is there (what appears to be) a weight tied to the handwheel on the front? Where is the vise clamp screw and handle?

Looks like it has issues. Too bad. Otherwise a nice machine.

Bob

Reply to
rleonard

Co.Marvel#18powerhacksaw. I have nothing to do with this seller. I just thought it looked

Jesse

I won the bid and I think it will set well next to my small hobby lathe a 18 inch Sidney herringbone gear with a 10 foot bed or maybe next to the baker gear head drill press that's 9 1/2 feet tall or the G

+E 32 inch shaper at 9500 lbs. I like the older metal as my work is mostly one off machinery parts. Yes most off the old metal has issues. I just did some routine maintenance on the Sidney, you should every 50 years or so tighten things up a little. Worked at what was left of the old Erie railroad shops after GE took it over years ago and used power hack saws for stock cutting and they worked very well, The spent blades make nice skinning knives. Also have a Bridgeport J head, Van Norman mill, Leblonde regal 14 inch and a sweet little Rivett that ill spin 2800 and takes 5c collets in the head. Every one a road trip and a adventure in moving. Have to mention a friend of mine that had cnc shop that went under, stops by every once in a while to use the shop and make some money for groceries. HWP
Reply to
hpolmanteer

Co.Marvel#18powerhacksaw. I have nothing to do with this seller. I just thought it looked

Jesse

That's a heck of a nice saw, glad you got it.

John

Reply to
JohnM

Maybe, although I think it would be a waste of time. But you probably figured out that I have something against bandsaws!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Co.Marvel#18powerhacksaw. I have nothing to do with this seller. I just thought it looked

Jesse

Glad it isn't going to go for scrap. I for one would love to hear more about the project, and perhaps see some pictures once you've hauled it home.

Good luck!

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to