Nylon sling question

I coupled three 2" wide nylon (yellow) lifting slings together to pull a truck out of a ditch. Slipknot fashion I guess. Now I've got three very tight "knots". Rock hard. Any ideas to loosen them up?

Dixon

Reply to
Dixon

put them on a bench and hit them with the heaviest rubber mallet you have, or a small sledge if that doesnt work. This should loosen them up enough that you can (carefully) get a screw driver into the knot to work on them a bit more. you naughty boy

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun Van Poecke

If I have this problem, I use some clean soft jaws on my bench vice and clamp one side of the knot in the jaws bend over the other side with a cleansoft mallet to loosen it up repeat till you can push the slip knot apart. the secret is to hold one side of the knot tightly whilst you move the other side. away from the tightening up direction. hope you follow.

Reply to
ted frater

I have seen a sailor's folding knife where one of the "blades" is round, pointed and very slightly curved, kind of like an obese ice pick. You work the point into a loop of the knot, prying, twisting and pulling until you develop a little slack. Then you do more of the same until you can untie it.

Since this is a metals group, I suggest you make one out of a piece of 1/4" round stock.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Cut them up and throw them away. Never tie knots in nylon slings. If they have pulled so tight that they cant be untied the fibers have been crushed and they will now be greatly weakened. Can and will fail under loads much lighter than what they are rated for.

Reply to
MTBSW

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 01:08:09 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Leo Lichtman" quickly quoth:

They're called marlinspikes.

My S/S rigger's knife was $4 + $4s/h last year and I keep it in my GO bag.

He might also soak them to soften them up, but another poster was right. Once he's knotted the shit out of them, he should just throw them away since they might have been damaged by being abused like that. I sure wouldn't want to work with abused lifting slings when it's my ass on the line (nearly) underneath them. LIfe and mobility are much too precious.

And before the next time, get yourself one of these, OP, and you won't have to toss all those expensive slings ever again:

sale for $9.99!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I keep a marlinspike around just for these sorts of impromptu events...

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner
áx?e?1OÃ0?÷ü?? Q$?hU@ê??Jí?L|±­:¾?òï¹4??Xìg?éó{çbò??gKÿIq?0
Reply to
Don Young

According to Leo Lichtman :

Yep! It is called a "fid".

or perhaps 3/8" round stock for the task at hand.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
RoyJ

True, I always have a snatch strap in the Patrol and usually use it to pull out bogged cars at the side of the road.

However, today I used it to drag my lathe (600kg?) from the middle of a 40' seatainer to the door, then I lifted it with the forklift attachment on the tractor FEL. Being cautious, I used 3 1000kg rated ratchet tie down straps, one around the FEL frame to get the lathe as close to the tractor front as possible, the others over the tines. It was not very happy lifting it, never more than 50mm above the ground, but idling in low/low (12) it moved the lathe into the shed through the side door with only one problem. The soil has recently been dug up and one rear wheel sunk and the tractor tilted. The lathe immediately grounded but the metre length 4 x 4's bolted to the stand prevented it from tilting and falling.

That is the only fault with the FEL compared to a forklift or a bobcat with no suspension, any surface irregularity at the rear causes a disproportionate movement at the bucket end. My tractor is an Iseki 22hp and it needed the cultivator on the back to balance the lathe. The heaviest thing is has moved is a Tecalemit 2 post car hoist. Grunt, groan. Alan, in Gosnells, Western Oz. VK6 YAB VKS 737 - W 6174

Reply to
alan200

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 14:05:22 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, RoyJ quickly quoth:

(mindless topposting corrected)

I've never had a hook come loose during a pull, only during a slack period. I tend to hook them on the top lip of the frame. Besides, nylon doesn't stretch enough to "turn a hook into a lethal weapon". Rope and cable do.

Of course, I've only towed things out with a 2WD vehicle, a half ton pickup. Parameters can change as the weights go up, and I've seen tow truck cables snap (But not while I was making a pull with one. I've never done recovery work though I have towed vehicles.) with many tons of weight on them. They whip mercilessly. I stand well clear of tow lines, as every semi-intelligent being should. All semi-intelligent people should make sure to keep the idiots clear while they make a pull, too.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Have an old sack/ blanket wrapped on the middle of the tow line, if it snaps it will not whip so violently. Alan, in Gosnells, Western Oz. VK6 YAB VKS 737 - W 6174

Reply to
alan200

After chastising someone for top posting, "Larry Jaques" wrote the following ludicrous statement:

Besides,

Huh? The elasticity of nylon is not as bad as some other synthetics, but ALL materials has some degree of elasticity. You must not have seen a nylon sling part. Yet.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Right! But make sure you put two of them on the line, one on each side of the break!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 08:44:14 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Steve B" quickly quoth:

Right, but lose a hook from one end and it pretty much just hits the ground after the inch or so of stretch normalizes, though the towing vehicle will probably move a bit, too. Have you (or anyone here) ever been hit by a hook from a tow strap like the HF item I posted?

No, I haven't, luckily.

I watched the Modern Marvels video of the super-rope testing. It failed quite catastrophically at something like half a million pounds pull. Spectra "fur" flew EVERYWHERE! Spectratacular.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Buddy of mine had to replace the rear window of his pickemuptruck. Hook came through and nearly took his head off.

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 07:38:32 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Did he have it wrapped OVER something so it took to the air when it let go? Always wrap bottom to top so the loose part hits the dirt instead of getting airborne. That was one of the first lessons I learned from the regular tow truck driver when he was giving me my full ten minute course on on-street vehicle recovery.

Anyway, I'll give odds it wasn't from stretch, but from wrapping. When the hook cut loose, it was wrapped over a foot of whatever and got some velocity before making that 90 degree bend toward the rapidly accelerating truck which no longer had a load on it.

He learned a physics lesson the easier of the hard ways--it hit the window, not him--if indeed he learned it.

-- Don't take life so seriously. You'll never get out of it alive. --Elbert Hubbard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

As far as I can remember..he was trying to pull out a stuck backhoe with his pickup and had simply hooked the end of the nylon towstrap on something on the forklift and they were trying to rock the beastie out of the mud. Somewhere in the process the hook came undone under load.

he said...he never even saw it coming and he was looking over his shoulder at the backhoe..and suddely he was covered with busted safety glass and rancid spit and tobacco juice. Seems the hook x-ringed the spit cup in the drink holder on his dash.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 16:26:26 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

If you're gonna rock, tie the hook on so it can't release that easily, and remember to hook it so the hook drops instead of going airborne. IOW, he should have been paying attention to what he was doing and where the pieces would go if they came loose.

Double EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

One last question: How the HELL do you stick a (running) backhoe?!?