Supermagnet fun

A guy I know bid on an old non-working hard drive. It was big, something like ten inches by maybe 18 inches by three inches. I asked him why he wanted it, and he said he'd show me.

A few days later, the display on my CRT started wobbling. The guy was holding a magnet a good six feet away from my monitor and rotating it slightly. Needless to say, he got it out of the hard drive. He had to use a ball joint separator to get the two magnets apart. Each one was about the size of two decks of cards, if I recall correctly.

I never found out what the strength of those magnets was. He soon made the mistake of holding one in each hand. They got too close together and in a split second they had collided, nipping off a little of the skin from his fingers in the process. I figure he's really lucky that's all that happened. I can think of a number of ways it could have been worse.

He brought in the now-stuck-together magnets and surprisingly (to me, anyway) their magnetic pull for other objects was very weak, like they were each absorbing the magnetism of the other. I asked if he was going to try to separate them, and he said no, and showed me that they were both cracked.

I think he was, too, a little.

Anyway, that's all the experience I've had with what were to me monstrously powerful magnets.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Don't believe I've heard that one, please tell.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

A 13 day camel is a five day camel that's been bricked .

A brick in your left hand , a brick in your right hand .

Snap together smartly .

With the camel's nuts in between while he's drinking .

Reply to
Snag

I once worked as a service tech on drives like that. Those magnets probably came out of the head positioner, which is a *righteous* linear motor. There might have been a nice DRO-like glass scale to go with it. We were severely warned to keep hands out of that thing when the power cord was in. If it detected a low-speed fault (like, the power fails), a crowbar SCR dumped the 48V supply cap. into that motor coil, to drag the heads off the disk instanter. You really did not want fingers in the way of that...

Reply to
David R Brooks

I wish I still had the two gigantic 12 meg hard drives I picked up in the

80's... 36" long by about 24" wide and about 10-12" thick... I'm sure there were possibly some huge magnets in there...
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

LOL, that's great.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

They did.

Heh. Good times...

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Jeeze... Probably, yeah--if it had the same type of head-positioning system.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Yes indeedy. I worked on a bunch of those in Chem dept at UNM.

14 inch removable platters. Thanks goodness we got rid of them before I retired. The last while had Winchester drives on the Mass Specs. ...lew...
Reply to
Lew Hartswick

what sort of drives were these?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I don't recall the exact models (it was 30 years ago), but they slid in a 19" rack, & weighed about 80#. Platters being 14", double deckers (1 fixed, 1 removeable). One drive (Diablo, afair) used a 3-phase generator attached to the spindle to power the electronics. Used the mechanical inertia as a UPS & powerline filter. Together with a head-per-track area on the bottom surface, it was claimed you could scram out the RAM to disk on a power loss, before the spindle lost speed. The weakness here is, there was no way to power the CPU off that generator (it wouldn't have been rated for the extra power, anyway.) The early versions of these used metal heads (later, & now, they are ceramic.) A metal head ploughing into the disk surface will just destroy both. Ceramic will get scuffed, but the data is usually readable.

Reply to
David R Brooks

[cut]

That's interesting.

There were some 5 1/4" disk drives made by Imprimis that used power from the spinning platters to park the heads, then it seems to brake and completely spin down pretty fast.

Thay made a unique sound when losing power.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I still have a head positioning magnet from a disk drive from the original Cray1. The drive was as big as a couple washing machines, and ran on 208V three phase. The drive magnets were about 12" X 10" X 10" in a cube. That beast could heat a house, and had a whopping 300 MegByte. NOT GigaByte... MegaByte. When they did seeks, whole buildings could shake. Litterally. I almost saw a huge old IBM 360 system tip over in the same room when these drives were installed, from the floor shaking.

Reply to
Half-Nutz

Good flerking squeeb! How strong is it? Toss it in a car the car would probably collapse in around it... Sheesh! And you still have it? How much would something like that run for? And what on earth can you do with it other than keep magnetic stuff way away from it?

Reply to
Ernie Sty