3 in 1 oil sucks

I just had another plastic "can" of 3 in 1 oil explode all over the place when trying to get the shitty plastic red cap off.

The entire red top came off, not the small cap. This isn't the first time.

Their oil can "looking" plastic containers are utter shit as well. They leak when you don't want them to, and when you need oil, basically nothing comes out.

The garbage packaging is why I will no longer but this stuff.

so, who still sells oil in metal cans these days, even it has to be mail ordered?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

For a light oil I use 'genuine' Singer Sewing Machine Oil. I comes in a metal can and doesn't leave gummy residue. At least the stuff I bought 15 years ago or so is in this condition.

Go to a sewing store and see what you can find.

Wolfgang

Reply to
wfhabicher

Gun oil comes in little leak-proof plastic bottles with good dispensing dropper.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

For a light oil I use Starrett Tool & Instrument Oil:

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

It comes in bigger bottles too. I have a pint bottle of Break Free CLP sitting on the desk. I'm not doing a testimonial but I think it works pretty good.

It isn't all that expensive in that size.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Cydrome,

3 in One plastic containers arn't the only ones that fail. All the motor oil "bottles" come in plastic these days. Don't leave these sitting around unused too long. They most definetly fail as well without any human touch. Ask me how I know :-(( What a mess. Saving all my WD-40, thinner, etc METAL gallon cans, for reuse, RichD, Atlanta
Reply to
RichD

I still think plastic beats those paper and tin oil cans of the past.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

For a light oil I use a good qaulity airline oil like silkolene currently, contains various additives for rust prevention, anti oxidants, anti foam etc, can even be used in hydraulic systems.

I sympathise regard>I just had another plastic "can" of 3 in 1 oil explode all over the place

Reply to
David Billington

I use an aerosol of lanolin oil. (From sheeps wool). Our shop is near the coast, and any tools left out will start to rust in about 12 hours. I spray it on everything, bedways, cutting tools, measuring equipment. I use it for antispatter too, as it can be painted straight over. I find it has a thinner film than most other oils, and it is a natural product. Its available in bulk cans aswell, but the best method of applying it is aerosol, or spray.

Reply to
Dom

Good call.

For whatever reason it never crossed my mind to use gun oil. I haven't even broken the seals on all the bottles of that stuff I've accumulated that come with any new gun. I just use teflon-ish oils and greases on everything.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Try to be more careful next time.

Ignoramus3694

Oddly enough, I have been using a (UK) plastic 3 in One oil bottle to dispense neat cutting oil on the lathe for the last 7 years and it's still going strong. The oil was crap, but the container seems to survive where a metal one could be dangerous.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I just went down to the shop and looked but I don't see any drips from the 1 Quart can of 50 wt Sunoco motor oil that has been following me around since the early 1950's when my brother bought it to mix with gas for his chain saw (this was before they made special 2 cycle oils). On the other hand, three vehicles made after 1985 have had their oil pans replaced because of rust out. Are modern vehicles with all of the technical advances made of less durable material than 50+ year old oil cans? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Yea just replaced my Radiator on the truck. Plastic sides to the tank... Cracked plastic doesn't hold fluid long.

That was a simple $1000 on that job. Soak you for every joint an task.

Martin

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Our local itinerant sewing machine repairman, whom we regard as a Singer genius, swears by TriFlo in little 4-oz squeeze bottles with dropper tips and tubes. I have no idea where he gets it. We buy it from him. Mary has a coupla Singers that are more than 50 years old, run like new -- and they sew considerably better than most new machines. No electronics, no plastic, just (!) precision.

Reply to
Don Foreman

That stuff is weird- but works great, as long as you don't already have other oil on the parts. The rare times I see it, I buy it- and I stree the rare part.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Should I use the light touch needed to be unable to smash a hard disk with an 8 pound sledge?

Under no circumstance should the entire top of a container pop off before the cap on the nozzle part.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Singer. Plastic bottle that hardens after several years and then cracks when you drop it. Mines now in a plastic precision oiler. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I think I have a pour spout if you ever need one.

EPA CAFE standards have a lot to do with that one. Is road salt used much in your area?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Can be a bit of a bugger when you discover that you've just pulled off the screw-on cap :-(

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand