New eBay fishing/scamming approach in the works

eBay recently implemented some changes aimed to thwart Romanian second chance offer scammers. (The last scammer that I conversed with 6 months ago, was from Belotesti in Ilfov county, Romania, hence my reference to that country) After the eBay changes, they assumed a new mode of operation. They do the following:

1) Grab whatever bidder userids they can find from Bid History pages. Let's say that they grab username 'joeblow'. 2) They then email fake second chance offers to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (and possibly to other places). This happened to me with my userid at eBay. My gmail and yahoo addresses were spammed by those scammers, even though my eBay account's username is registered for different domains than those free ones. i
Reply to
Ignoramus3694

Just last week I had someone list a Honda motorcycle under my username. I check my listings several times a day and happened to catch the fake listing within an hour after it happened. I contacted eBay through their live chat and got it cancelled in ten minutes or so. I changed my password again for the 4th or 5th time this year. Steve

Reply to
Up North

How did the scammer gain access to your account in the first place?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Do you know how they got a hold of your account info? (echoing another poster's question) You probably need to do something drastic to your computer.

Ignoramus3694

Agreed! If running windows, run some of the following:

Are you running an anti-virus software package? If not, quickly go here and get the free AVG:

My thoughts on Norton? ...cursing isn't condoned so I'll skip 'em here. Use the "Norton Remover" (Google it) when upgrading to any competent anti-virus package.

AdAware SE:

have to shut down anti-virus when running - disconnect internet connection first and it's not a problem or risk)

Windows Scan:

have a Vista version too somewhere)

The PandaScan thing:

Then if you are brave, find a copy of "HijackThis" and use it to clear out your start-up processes as well:
If you are REALLY brave, open your config files and do the same... But I won't even tell you how to do that it's so risky with no skills, etc.

There are dozens of spyware removers on the net and probably as many on-line virus scanners... The ones above are tried and tested by *me* so they're worth the price you paid for admission only or more if you are lucky.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

They must have hacked my password which I thought was safe as it was 8 digits both numbers and letters. I asked Ebay about it and they said it most likely was by a spoof email although I never reply to messages not related to items I am selling or buying, I should start going to my ebay account to respond to those too. I have Trend Micro antivirus on all my computers and I keep it updated daily.

Reply to
Up North

You could have some malware program that captures your eBay password as you type it. Even bigger danger than eBay, is the scammers clearing out your bank account.

Ignoramus3694

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in news:lDNOi.1699$d2.1344@trnddc08:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that about Norton Bloatware, nothing kills a nice lively system more than installing anything Nortons.

I'll put a vote in for Avast Virus protector. Nothing beats free and functional software. I also use the Pro version at work.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 10:43:45 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus3694 quickly quoth:

...And/or stop replying to phishing emails, eh?

-- Ultimately, the only power to which man should aspire is that which he exercises over himself. -- Elie Wiesel

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What a heap of trouble. Get a Mac!

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Ahh... Apple. The new MicroSoft... Have fun!

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

That is a fairly generic attack. Spammers do the same thing. I bet every ebay user gets spam directed at snipped-for-privacy@whatevermajorispexists.com for breast enlarging cream, v1agra, and cheep software$.

Periodically I review my yahoo mail account to see what these lamers tried on me. Sometimes late at night, I'm easilly amused.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Or Linux. I used to have constant attacks, and was worried somebody would eventually get lucky, until I put in denyhosts. When any particular IP address tries to log in on any service or username 5 times within an hour with a wrong password on invalid username, that IP source address is locked out for 2 weeks by putting it in the /etc/hosts.deny list. Boom - no more thousands of failed login attempts! I haven't had a bit more trouble since adding that to Linux. They still try, but with only 5 attempts every 2 weeks, they just go elsewhere.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I like it. Actually, one can do this on a Mac (because BSD UNIX lurks below the pretty face), though I've never been motivated to do it.

But I suspect that they are not getting discouraged, as the attack is automated. Human involvement is remote.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn