Sometimes Ebay works - gloat

Put my 1991 Eagle Talon (metal content) up on Ebay last week. It was a relatively low mileage for its age (~116,000 miles), all original car, in good condition for its age, particularly considering that most of the turbo AWD models have now been converted to boy toys and destroyed. Virtually everything on the car still worked, and all the pieces were still in place. Blue book was somewhere between $1,600 and $2,600 depending on condition. Not knowing what it might go for, I put a "so I don't lose my shirt, too" $1,000 reserve on it and tearfully let go. The second bid exceeded my reserve. By the end, nearly 3,000 people had looked at the listing, and 43 people had it on their watch list. Nine people tried to get me to sell it off auction. Ended up going for $3,800 to a young fellow who came to see it first (one of only two), and then jumped in at the last minute with a preemptive bid. He's delighted, I'm happy, and the car's gone -- to a good home, I hope.

I'll miss it. It was the best car I've ever had (including a Porsche 356), but I got myself a WRX to play with to assuage my grief.

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

Congrats. You got a good price. I am soon going to list a 1990 Dodge RAM 350 one ton pickup, with 36,000 miles on it (GASP), soon. It has so few miles because it was owned by a city.

Ignoramus29226

I've done pretty well with the eBay "rental" program. Bought a factory reconditioned flooring nailer for $360 with shipping. Had it for six months and put down 700 sq ft of hardwood floors. No, it shouldn't take six months to put down the floor but when I pulled up the carpet I discovered that the whole subfloor was FUBAR so had to pull up 1/2" plywood, straighten joists, put down new 3/4" plywood, then the hardwood. Plus other projects got bumped up the priority list during the time. Put the nailer back on eBay and got $311 for it.

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

Reply to
JR North

the clutch is going out on my 2002 WRX @ 56k miles, I suspect the kid I bought it from abused it, the only reason the car was up for sale was that he'd gotten into too much trouble with it so his parents were making him sell it off! I did get a good deal on it though.

Unfortunately the clutch looks to run about $5-600 in parts and another $2-300 in labor unless I want to take it on myself. I did have two separate transmission shops say something along the lines of "That is about right for those cars" when I was bidding out the job and complaining about a clutch going out so soon.

Fun cars, I don't regret buying it for a second! I did test drive the 2006 model that has the 2.5l engine stock vs. the 2l, wow, does that make a difference! I'm thinking about trading/selling the 2002 off next year and getting a 2006 once I can find one used, I just can't stand paying new car prices.

Reply to
/.

LOL - Gee - ya think?

I've considered buying on of those, or an STI. I just wish they weren't so Rice-boy looking - loose or tone down the spoiler. Make the coatrack spoiler optional. Get rid of that Jaws air scoop, move the intercooler down to the grill like the aftermarket is doing.

Reply to
Rex B

I hear that the dealers are usually happy to swap out the spoiler with a standard WRX trunk. Plenty of squids that can't afford an STI but want the look.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Sure, but what about the hood? Maybe the scoop can be reversed? That ought to appeal to the guys with their caps pointed wrong ;)

Reply to
Rex B

As someone else said, you can get a standard trunk lid for an STI. You can also get a standard WRX hood scoop (you might need the whole hood. Yeah, the scoop is functional, but so it the standard one, just not as big. I suspect you would not lose much with the smaller scoop.

Mine is a 2003 WRX with 66,000 miles on it, adult owned. I spoke with the previous (only) owner before buying it from the dealer. The only reason he got rid of it, he claims, is that for tax reasons he needs to lease rather than buy, so he leased another one, rather than buying out the lease on this one. It's in very good shape, and doesn't seem to be hammered, unlike most of them out there. The clutch seems OK, so far.

I have discovered one thing: WRX drivers wave at each other. I haven't seen that since my Porsche days in the 60's. It may be only bright blue WRX drives do this, because it's so obvious what it is. I tell everyone that I tried to get a blue car, but this was the best that I could do. It's a wagon, BTW. The ultimate stealth Mustang killer, although the gray would have been better. Fast as all get out.

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat