Wiremold powerstrip advise?

I'd like to bring power down to a bench without lots of diddling about. Wiremold has the Plugmold, like a 3 foot or so power strip, pre-assembled, with outlets every 8" or so.

Anyone use this or a similar product?

Otherwise, it's a pair of dual receptacle boxes, conduit, wire, and manuel labor. (like manual labor, but different).

Reply to
Louis Ohland

If you've already got a nearby outlet, there are Plugmolds that you just plug into that outlet. Like a power strip on steroids.

If you don't have a nearby outlet, then you have to run conduit or put a junction box at the end to get electricity to the Plugmold.

Plugmold is not particularly cheap (I mean, materials cost for a couple of boxes and outlets and conduit will be one-fifth the cost, and a cheapo power strip will be one tenth the cost) but it's good stuff, the outlets themselves are a couple steps up from the cheapo power strips.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Reply to
Louis Ohland

I thought all the plugmold (whether 15A or 20A) was wired internally with 12AWG. In any event the wire length inside the plugmold is tiny compared to the run outside, right?

If you'll be running flouroescent lights (generally more sensitive to dips in line voltage) from the same outlet and the run is long and flickering lights as the motor starts up bothers you, best solution is probably a separate circuit for lighting.

Some localities have very odd restriction regarding 20A outlets and where you're allowed and not allowed to put the outlets.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

If the wiring in the plugmolds is 12AWG, then it's good to hook. The breaker is 15A, so I doubt that the 12AWG line will heat up. [figuratively speaking!]

Yes, the 3 foot or so is a small run.

Tim Sh> I thought all the plugmold (whether 15A or 20A) was wired internally

Reply to
Louis Ohland

I used some right above the backsplash on a workbench based on an 8' kitchen counter with cabinets over I put in for my wife for stained glass. It's a 6' with outlets every 6". I powered it through a gfci outlet mounted in a plugmold box, wiremold down from ceiling, nm to box. it's on a 20A breaker with 12 ga. wire, only about 15' total. She runs the grinder, ring saw, and 100W soldering iron on it. I also run a couple of the little fluorescent under counter lights on the same circuit. Works good.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Looks like the 20GB506 on closer inspection, which is rated at 15A, not 20. You're right, I can't see the label. But it matches the one on

. 15 A is more than ample for the small glass stuff and the various tool chargers I have on it.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Reply to