Better Drive for a old MDC (Roundhouse) BoxCab

Hello
Sorry for me bad English.
I am looking for a better drive for the old MDC BOXCAB diesel.
Does one have an idea there? Web pages?
Could the drive match and work of a Bachmann diesel (GE 44)?
--
Greetings from Germany
Juergen
Jrgen Pollak wrote:

Northwest Short Lines has a replacement drive IIRC. Check their website: www.nwsl.com
The Bachmann GE44 drive doesn't fit as is. You would have to build a new frame, or modify the MDC one. I don't know whether the GE44's truck wheel base is the same as the boxcab diesel's. If so, it may be worth the effort of rebuilding.
You could also search on "remotoring Roundhouse boxcab diesel" and "remotoring Model Die Casting boxcab diesel." If anyone has written about this in one of the major model railway magazines, you will find a reference to the article.
Good luck!

NWSL have no new Drive for the BoxCab or Same chassies (Climax)

No references found on the web
any help?
--
Greetings from Germany
Juergen

The MDC box cab is a model of the 1925 ALCo/GE/I-R locomotives CNJ 1000, B&O 1 and LV 100. Plans in the MR Cyclopedia Vol 2 show these units have 7' 2" wheelbase trucks with 36" wheels, mounted on 17' centers on the chassis. A scan of other diesel plans show all have longer truck centers (even the GE 44 tonner has 18' 9" truck centers), and most have longer wheelbase trucks. This would suggest that it is unlikely any mechanism from another commercial diesel model could be substituted for the MDC box cab mechansim.
In my experience, the problems with the MDC box cab are from the gear train design with the large bull gear in the center of the chassis that results in severe "kinks" in the drive train to the trucks on any curves. I therefore do not think remotoring will do much to improve the operation of the unit.
I suggest you look again at the NWSL catalog at http://www.nwsl.com/Catalog/CatalogSect4.htm The PDT power truck # 37032-4 with a 7' wheelbase and 36" wheels would be the closest fit for use in the box cab. The 2" difference in wheelbase should not be a problem since the PDT has center axle bearings so the old MDC sideframes would be cosmetic only. If you require the precise 7' 2" wheelbase, it looks like you could build a suitable power truck using the NWSL "Flea" components. Geezer
Geezer wrote:

Geez:
I don't own the MDC boxcab, but I took a look at my catalog. It appears the boxcab's chassis has some bizarre kinematics. Unless I am mistaken, the truck is mounted on a sideways slider/flop guide and allowed to 'pivot' around the U-joint to the bull gear. If this is true, then it's some wonderfully naive engineering. :) I wonder -- would it be possible to constrain the truck better, and give it a pivot pin vertically in line with the single U-joint? How about a curved slide?
Cordially yours: Gerard P.
Geezer wrote:

Alternatively, ou could try a pair of Black Beetles:
http://home.waterfront.net.au/~sem/bbeetle.htm
and order a pair with the correct wheelbase.
Cheers,
Mark.
Jrgen Pollak wrote:

There was an article years ago on remotoring the Climax - same chassis. I don't remember if it was in Model Railroader or Model Railroading.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

"Larry Blanchard" >>

Sorry, i search, not found. I have many Years of Model Railroader. Have you found a Number of Magazine or better a Webside?
--
Greetings from Germany
Juergen
Jrgen Pollak wrote:

http://index.mrmag.com /
Seems there was even an NMRA bulletin on remotoring.
Remember to search on both Climax and boxcab diesel entries.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Larry Blanchard wrote:

It,s the December, 1982 issue of MR. Actually there's relatively little on repowering the climax therein IIRC. The article mostly dealt with cosmetic issues although "lowering" the boiler required changes in the mounting of the flywheel. Hope this helps. Thank you. Jerry
Larry Blanchard wrote:

It,s the December, 1982 issue of MR. Actually there's relatively little on repowering the climax therein IIRC. The article mostly dealt with cosmetic issues although "lowering" the boiler required changes in the mounting of the flywheel. Hope this helps. Thank you. Jerry

Thank you I have the MR at 1974 complete I go search the 12/82 issue Many thanks from Germany
Juergen
On Sun, 21 May 2006 23:03:29 +0200, "Jrgen Pollak"

Magazine available from Railpub at: www.railpub.com
fl@liner

I found the 12/78 issue of MR. i show. No better drive or remotoring. Only optical changes of the climax. Not help for my problem.
--
Greetings from Germany
Juergen