Digitrax Question

Hello everyone. I am considering making the move from DC to DCC. The biggest question in my mind at this time is; Can set a number of locos in motion with the Zephyr and let them run on their own without having to have an individual throttle for each unit?

Reply to
Brian Smith

with the Zephyr and let them run on their own without having to have an individual throttle for each unit?< You can do this BUT as the Zephyr only has one "knob" you can only control one engine at a time. It can be done but it's a juggling act!

Reply to
Jon Miller

Brian, Jon's answer is of course correct.

However, keep in mind that the Zephyr has two throttle "jump ports". You can use separate DC power packs with each of these jump ports to directly control two more locos.

Since you are considering moving from DC, you may well already have a couple of suitable power packs available. That would be a much better solution than the juggling act Jon refers to!

HTH, Stevert

Reply to
Stevert

Thank you.

Reply to
Brian Smith

Thank you. I do have three MRC units on hand.

Reply to
Brian Smith

I always forget those jump throttles but they do work good. So it's 3 engines you can control, but then you need three hands of course!

Reply to
Jon Miller

That would be true.

Reply to
Brian Smith

I had 14 locos running at once one day just to see if I could. They all were just moving a crawls pace. Odd that I had 14 going when the Zephyr is supposed to only have enough slots for 12. Also for the Jump throttles you need smooth DC power. Each one must have a separate power pack. My understanding is that you can't use a throttle with Pulse Width Modulation. Not sure wot your MRC's have. Even a 9volt battery with a potentiometer works as they don't actually to the powering of the loco. They just give a variable voltage accross the Jump ports and the Zephyr does the work from there. Not sure how long the battery will last though. I made two smooth throttles suppling 12volts DC and they work a treat. Bear in mind that the less Max voltage supplied to the port the slower the loco. Thus if you only supply a max of 9 volts to the ports you won't get the full speed thottle responce that the actual Zephyr does.

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Nichols

Thank you.