Any old Roundhouse/MDC catalog collectors out here?

I'm looking for a drawing that I remember seeing in an old Roundhouse/MDC catalog back in the late 70's/early 80's.

It wasn't a picture, but a drawing of a train that featured cars like their Overton cars. What made this unique was that the engine appeared to be covered with one of the Overton cars as well... there was a smokebox front sticking out of the front of the car and perhaps a stack sticking out of the roof. Additionally, the sides of the car were cut back some so that the wheels & valve gear, side rods, etc were displayed. The engine must have been a "xT" model as I don't remember anything about a tender.

If you should happen to have a catalog with this drawing, I'd appreciate a scan of the image. I've toyed with building something like it ever since I saw the drawing some 25 years ago.

Thanks!

dlm

--------------------------- Dan Merkel

Reply to
Dan Merkel

Dan:

I have an undated MDC catalog that is probably from the era mentioned, but the only thing that I could find was a photo of a kitbashed inspection engine. It looks like one of their 0-4-0 swtichers with a slope back tender and a partial Overton coach body mounted on the engine. I scanned the photo and have placed it here so you can have a look:

Reply to
Railfan

I have a couple old Roundhouse catalogs, but they apparently predate your period of interest and do not include the drawing you want. As an alternative, have you tried looking for photos of similar prototypes? Your description could fit three types of locomotives:

o Inspection Engines - typically a 4-2-4T wheel arrangement with a passenger coach-like enclosure over most of the boiler. Some were other wheel arrangements and some had tenders - Erie RR #1 was a 4-4-0 tender loco with a body that was the spitting image of the MDC Overton coach. Many others were of earlier vintage and had "lighter" appearing bodies which might be better matched by a Civil War-era coach body. Note however that since inspection locos were designed to show the RR to executives sitting in the body, these locos rarely if ever hauled any additional cars.

o Steam Dummies - typically 0-4-0T or 2-4-0T wheel arrangements and very short coach like bodies. Most often used on city streets hauling early streetcar-type coach trailers before street railways electrified (the body over the loco was supposed to calm passing horses), but some were later sold second hand to logging RRs and other lines for industrial use.

o Steam Cars - These were essentially the equivalent of the later gas-electrics, but powered by a pivoting 0-4-0 or 2-4-0 steam engine as the front truck. Some were short like the MDC Overton cars, while others were

60' to 70' long - I used an old Ambroid combine to kitbash a near match to the beautiful Detroit & Lima Northern (a DT&I predecessor) #100. As with inspection engines, steam cars rarely would have hauled additional cars.

What type are you interested in? Gary Q

Reply to
Geezer

That sounds like an Inspection Engine, used to take the RR bigwigs around to inspect the line.

I did a quick Google search for images with "inspection engine", "inspection locomotive" and found a few pictures. A more thorough search might turn up something you'd like.

Reply to
<wkaiser

The keyword "inspection engine" doesn't register on the Model Train Magazine Index. The more basic "inspection", however, yields a variety of articles. Some of these are certainly in the desired area. Try RMC July, 1960 p.40 and RMC April, 1961 p.38 as possible guides for a similar project. I'm sure other, related articles are also shown. Hope this helps.

Jerry

Reply to
trainjer

I would have sworn that it was a drawing, but that is certainly what I was talking about. Thank you very much!

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

Thanks to all of you who replied. With your help I was able to locate the pictures that I needed.

Thanks again!

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel