Power up a Hard Drive Motor?

Does anyone know how to power up a hard drive motor?
I ahve a dead hard drive (hopefuly it wasn't the motor that burnt out). I
would like to power the motor without using any of the electronics that were on the controller. There are 4 pins that were connected from the motor to the controller. It is an older drive so I am thinking it is probably a 5400 RPM or so. I applied power to the pins thinking it would spin but ir just vibrates a bit.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Alan
here is a link: http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/diskstepper.html
If I remember correctly putting 5volts on ide pin 10 will spin the motor. (power pins 12V, 5V and ground also connected)
Robert

were
5400
Alan P wrote:

Unless you want to build your own drive circuit, it can't be done. These are normally electrically commutated 3-phase motors, and you need to read the Hall effect sensor to determine the timing for commutation.

Well, the hard drive motors are basically, 3,5 , 7 or more coils as a brushless stepper motor. Unfortunately, none of the hard drive controller chips on the PCB have identifiable numbers that can be cross referenced in order to get a data sheet so you could figure out how to re-cycle the IC chip. You would have to get a hard drive controller chip, you can get data on, and hook it up and program a MCU to drive the controller IC to drive the motor. But it isn't as easy as just hooking up a few wires. here is one example: http://www.allegromicro.com/sf/3933/ another http://www.allegromicro.com/sf/8904/ and another http://www.st.com/stonline/prodpres/dedicate/datastor/powcomb/powcomb.htm The problem is I don't see these on a hard drive PCBs, so the manufacturers must be getting the chips numbered special just for them.

Did this once. I looked at the harddrive PCB to identify the motor controller circuit (IC + discrete components). Then I used a saw to cut the motor controller part of the PCB from the hard drive PCB. Hooked up some power wires to the cut-out motor controller and got the motor spinning.
The motor needs its controller, as it is a three-phase or stepper-like motor. Not a DC-voltage motor.
--
Bye, Ray

http://home.hccnet.nl/raymond.van.elst /
I thank everyone for the help. I may be out of luck with this one... I traced the controller on the board, this is the chip that was getting quite hot when the hard drive was powered up before. I have some older hard drives somewhere, does anyone know if the old 40MB drives use the same type of motor or are they standard DC?