Power up a Hard Drive Motor?

Does anyone know how to power up a hard drive motor?

I ahve a dead hard drive (hopefuly it wasn't the motor that burnt out). I would like to power the motor without using any of the electronics that were on the controller. There are 4 pins that were connected from the motor to the controller. It is an older drive so I am thinking it is probably a 5400 RPM or so. I applied power to the pins thinking it would spin but ir just vibrates a bit.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Alan

Reply to
Alan P

here is a link:

If I remember correctly putting 5volts on ide pin 10 will spin the motor. (power pins 12V, 5V and ground also connected)

Robert

Reply to
robert

Unless you want to build your own drive circuit, it can't be done. These are normally electrically commutated 3-phase motors, and you need to read the Hall effect sensor to determine the timing for commutation.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Well, the hard drive motors are basically, 3,5 , 7 or more coils as a brushless stepper motor. Unfortunately, none of the hard drive controller chips on the PCB have identifiable numbers that can be cross referenced in order to get a data sheet so you could figure out how to re-cycle the IC chip. You would have to get a hard drive controller chip, you can get data on, and hook it up and program a MCU to drive the controller IC to drive the motor. But it isn't as easy as just hooking up a few wires. here is one example:

another
problem is I don't see these on a hard drive PCBs, so the manufacturers must be getting the chips numbered special just for them.

Reply to
Earl Bollinger

Did this once. I looked at the harddrive PCB to identify the motor controller circuit (IC + discrete components). Then I used a saw to cut the motor controller part of the PCB from the hard drive PCB. Hooked up some power wires to the cut-out motor controller and got the motor spinning.

The motor needs its controller, as it is a three-phase or stepper-like motor. Not a DC-voltage motor.

Reply to
Ray

I thank everyone for the help. I may be out of luck with this one... I traced the controller on the board, this is the chip that was getting quite hot when the hard drive was powered up before. I have some older hard drives somewhere, does anyone know if the old 40MB drives use the same type of motor or are they standard DC?

Reply to
Alan P