OT:Equipment Covers

I took over SWMBO's Singer last week and made an equipment cover for my wire
welder. The cover is basically a rectangle with the bottom missing. I used
ripstop nylon I got on sale at the local fabric shop. They told me the
material was waterproof. It's not. It's not even water resistant.
Believing the hype, I left the welder outside on the deck, where I was
fabricating new railings. Of course, it rained. I took the cover off and
found water standing on the shelves of the cart.
I went to the local Bass Pro, picked up some silicone spray used for tents.
The directions said put on two coats four hours apart. This time, I put the
cover over a lawn chair just before it rained again. I still had water
under the cover.
Is there an application, hopefully in a spray can, that has been shown to be
useful as a waterproofer for fabric? That won't leave an oily residue?
Shiggins
Reply to
SnA Higgins
Ripstop is way too light for what you are making. What you want is (or was) called cordura, and you can get it with a urethane coating that IS waterproof. You'll have to deal with the seams, and you could put the ripstop thing you made on the inside to protect the coating.
Reply to
_
I have in front of me a can of "Ant Skid Rug Spray", which is effectively a spray-on rubber. (no jokes please)
"...cures to a colourless, non-sticky coating..."
I've used it for its advertised purpose, with good results. The rubbery coating is obvious, yet not intrusive. It is quite invisible.
The bad news: I got it from a clearance box, marked down to $5. Almost certainly out of business. I'm in Australia, anyway.
FWIW, the contact details from the can:
Liquid Rubber Dip and Spray Pty Ltd 20 Dewrang Avenue Bradbury NSW 2560 snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.com.au
(Hey! Same ISP as me!)
If we've got it here, you've prolly got something similar over there.
Reply to
Jeff R.

Site Timeline