Nylon sling question

Yea. I always thought those were sort of "pick-em-up byt the bootstraps" things. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

And if you do, what in heck is a pick-em-up truck going to do about it? My old, big pickup weighed in at 6600 lbs (9500 GVW). My hoe's bucket edge curling force, if it's operating at spec, is about 9000 lbs. If the bucket won't pull it out, the truck sure isn't going to budge it. You'd be lucky to get half the force the bucket edge will provide from the truck fully-laden.

I have occasionally gotten mine (2WD) in a difficult spot, but gotten out OK with the aid of the hoe. If you can't pull it backwards, you can pick the back up and fill in under the wheels (likewise the front, of course, with the front bucket), or shove it forwards (not as much force available for shoving, however.) I don't get too exciting with it, as the whole rolling over and dying thing is far more of an issue than getting it stuck. Even without dying, rolling it over would tend to involve a lot of inconvenience, trouble, and expense.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

It can be done when working with clay soil below the water table DAMHIKT!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Between the loader bucket and the hoe you should be able to push/pull yourself out of just about anything. I saw a guy load one on a four foot flat bed truck using them. Of course you need the hydraulics to be up to snuff.

John

Reply to
John

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 21:23:11 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, John quickly quoth:

Someone last year posted a URL for a movie of guys climbing their loader/hoes up on top of train cars. It was truly wild!

-- Don't take life so seriously. You'll never get out of it alive. --Elbert Hubbard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reminds me fatal accident at Disneyland several years ago... not sure about the details, but here's what I heard..

They have a big steamship they run around this small man made lake with an island in the middle. The ship was returning to dock and someone tied up one of it's mooring lines to one of those big horn shaped cleat things before the ship had stopped. The moving ship fetched so hard on the line it ripped the cleat off the dock and sent it flying.

Erik.

Reply to
Erik

Adobe clay here in the desert. AKA "rat shit clay"

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

he was on sorta dry or at least solid ground, the backhoe was over a fresh pipeline trench that had just been backfilled, but untamped. Rat shit clay is sorta like oatmeal..while it looks solid..when you push it..it simply moves out of the way. And is slipprier than snot on teflon.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

Sounds like the time I was supposed to install a Nav-aid antenna base about 12 feet below ground level. I got somewhat suspicious of the ditch shaped outline and did some intensive investigation after halting work on the project; the answer "oh yeah, the city put in a high pressure water line through here about ten years ago, that must be where it went." Fortunately, I had stopped work a couple feet above the pipe. No wonder trucks were getting stuck! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Cliff Notes Version:

The Sailing Ship Columbia - scale model of square-rigger. Flat-bottom steel hull, Diesel-Electric generator (converted to CNG), twin electric motor screws, guided by underwater track with idler wheels. Real wood superstructure above the waterline with some rot around the cleat bolts.

They were coming back to the dock and they are not supposed to throw the mooring rope around the ship cleat till it's going dead slow, so they can ease into the rope and hold steady against the tension while passengers embark and disembark.

They were supposed to be using a natural fiber rope that would fail gracefully, but sometime through the years they switched to a Nylon mooring line that lasts longer but also can store up a whole lot of tension. And the wood rot around the cleat bolts on the ship was a huge factor - the other end of the mooring line was looped around a large creosote piling, it wasn't going anywhere.

The ship came in to the dock too fast and a Manager who was new to Operations tossed the rope on the cleat when he should not have - make them back up and try again. The Nylon stretched and didn't give, and the cast iron mooring cleat ripped out of the ship hull and headed toward the dock at a rather rapid pace - two people were in the way.

Google "Disneyland Columbia cleat fatality" and it should pop up.

Best part is, the Disney Custodial staff had the whole crime scene fully sanitized inside of an hour, as soon as the victims had peen packed in the ambulances and taken away - before the PD could arrive to secure the scene and investigate the accident. "Oops!"

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman