Any recommendations of Must have lather/mill tools for a beginner?

I'm ordering a 3 n 1 machine and wanted to make sure I had some must have tooling right off the bat.
Any recommendations or perhaps a web site? I found a machinist friend
locally and he's also writhing up a list.
This may be a little off subject here but where can I find a 16 ft step ladder to purchase? I need this height to pressure wash my home.
thanks
Bill

I don't recall ever seeing such a thing. I bought an extension ladder for such chores. Lane
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:55:33 -0800, Lane <> wrote:

They exist, but both of the ones I've used are wood and very shaky. Maybe they're hard to make strong enough to be safe yet light enough to be carryable?

I should mention, both of these also looked like they're 30 or 40 years old.

Actually what usually happens with wooden ladders is they dry out and loosen up. This is easily cured by just tightening all the tie bolts under the steps but I've rarely run into anybody who knew this.
Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

8-point socket, or change out the 10-24 nuts for normal hex.
And get some acorn nuts to cover the exposed threads or take an angle grinder and cut them flat, you bump them and they WILL take a chunk of skin. DAMHIKT...
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:55:33 -0800, "Lane" <lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com> wrote:

Ive seen em. Often times used in school gymnasiums and such. Huge, heavy as hell, and dangerous as can be. Hence the increased usage of manlifts, even though the costs are an order of magnitude higher.
http://www.wernerladder.com/catalog.htm (probably the best)
http://www.toolup.com/productinfo_froogle.asp?ID=WS1016&Manuf=Louisville_Ladder http://www.lynnladder.com/lynlad/lynlad113.htm Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken

No way you'd catch me on one that tall, let alone using a power washer on one. Just too much can go wrong, as someone else mentioned. Lane
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:29:42 -0800, Lane <> wrote:

You know, maybe easier to get a 16' extension on the power washer, and stand on the ground... not an elegant solution, but a hell of a lot safer. A power washer can give you a bit of thrust on the ground, and the levarage of that thrust times the height of the ladder...lots of torque there.
Dave Hinz
Dave Hinz wrote:

Most of the really tall stepladders I've seen use 'outrigger' braces to steady them. These are hinged off the sides of the ladder, and fold when not in use. The effect is to make a sort of tripod of the ladder ... well, actually, four legs, or a pyramid. I've seen these in both aluminum and fiberglass versions. Try a commercial electrical supply ... they often carry these.
And, yes, they are heavy and expensive.
Dan Mitchell ===========

Firefighting catalogs might still have outrigger ladders as well, but again, I think we're forgetting that the guy wants to use a pressure washer on top of a 16' something. The forces of a pressure washer, on that tall of a ladder, wouldn't be something I'd be willing to do myself...

And falling from a 16 foot ladder, with a 3000 psi stream from a nozzle shredding me to pieces even before I fall, is not a fun thing to contemplate.
Dave Hinz wrote:

No argument there. The recoil from a large pressure washer can be considerable ... put that on top of a 16 ladder and you have a big turning moment trying to tip the ladder over ... or blow the operator off the top of it. NOT a good idea either way.
Dan Mitchell ===========

Check out http://www.aplussupply.com/ladder/step/step.html , item T7416
I would not feel safe to use a 16 foot step ladder... If you mean the kind that stand alone, without being supported by a house. A lot of things can go wrong when power washing.
With my pressure washer, I can pressure wash my home (3 floors above ground, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd) while standing on the ground. I did just that yesterday. It was fun.
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/powerwasher/
I have decided not to sell this powerwasher after all.
Bill Grimwood wrote:

I've rented 16' step ladders before. Call around and find out where the rental places get them.
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
On 22 Mar 2005 17:15:08 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

this is the model I'm ordering, http://www.smithy.com/midas1220ltd.htm At first I planed on buying all the tools from the same Co. but I'm beginning to see that I can get many things much cheaper from other sources. I'm trying to find some sort of adult education course in my area for machining but haven't found much luck yet.
Thanks for the advice

Site Timeline