Arcs for bending on edge

Let's see if I can explain this --

I'm doing a drawing for an aluminum chassis and I want a 90 degree bend exactly on the edge of the material. (062 aluminum)

Now, the way it's supposed to be done is that you cut/punch a couple of arcs on each side of the bend, right?

Here's my question:

What are the guidelines for sizing these arcs? For example, should the arc radius be 3-4 times the size of the material thickness? (more? less?)

Say, the "O" is actually an arc (half circle) and the bend is between the 2 "O's"

--------------O----------------------O---------------

Reply to
mkr5000

Which Electronics CAD program are you using to do this?

JeffM

1/8" works. Try it on some scrap first. If it's 6061 T6 you may need to pad the inside edge with flashing etc to increase the bend radius to keep the outside from cracking.

Or ask the shop that's going to fabricate it.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

So just think in terms of .125 (radius) for all material or do you mean .125 for .062 aluminum?

I can't imagine ever using anything thicker than 062 so I'll make mine .125 as you suggest.

That's good because the smaller, the better.

Thanks for the feedback.

Reply to
mkr5000